RJ Spagnols followup to 3 kits..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjzalew

Reaction score
It's been 4 days since I took the brew belts off all three kits and the temp is staying around 80deg.
But I don't see much movement in the S.G. It has gone down but not very much. Were now into the 8th day in the primary.

Valpolicella Starting S.G. 1.094 Today's S.G. 1.005
Amarone Starting S.G. 1.1 Today's S.G. 1.02
Pinot grigio Starting S.G. 1.0996 Today's S.G. 1.014

do I need to add a energizer to get the S.G. down to .996 ( that's where I want it)
Thanks again,
Steve

Steve:

8 days is too soon to be worrying about getting the sg lower. For me, RJS kits usually finish about .995 (except Winery Series about 1.000).

What temperature are they at? I wouldn't have been surprised if all three had already been .996 given summer temperatures.

I know there's probably a thread somewhere with the info, but which RJS kits are these?

Steve

It's been 4 days since I took the brew belts off all three kits and the temp is staying around 80deg.
But I don't see much movement in the S.G. It has gone down but not very much. Were now into the 8th day in the primary.

Valpolicella Starting S.G. 1.094 Today's S.G. 1.005
Amarone Starting S.G. 1.1 Today's S.G. 1.02
Pinot grigio Starting S.G. 1.0996 Today's S.G. 1.014

do I need to add a energizer to get the S.G. down to .996 ( that's where I want it)
Thanks again,
Steve

Steve, a few thoughts:
Without knowing exactly which kits you're talking about, it's hard to give specific answers. For example some Spagnols kits tell you to leave it in primary for 14 days and some say 6-8 days.

Energizers and nutrients are generally discouraged in kits. Manufacturers have added enough when they bagged the juice/concentrate.

The gravity readings don't sound like there's any kind of problem. You don't expect it to go down very fast at this stage. Also, it's not really productive to have a target gravity in mind. The wine will finish where it finishes, and there's not much you can do about it.

In general, if these are kits that call for 14 day primaries, I'd just leave them there until then. If they are the 6-8 day primaries, it sounds like you're ready to rack to a carboy, but I assume all this is discussed in your instructions.

Jim

Jim,
They are all 14 day in the primary kits, I guess the reason I'm suspecious is because the temp was up to 95 deg, for a few days. All the other kits I've done have had the S.G. come down much quicker, this is my first time with Spangnols kits.
Thanks, I'll be a bit more patient
Steve

Jim,
They are all 14 day in the primary kits, I guess the reason I'm suspecious is because the temp was up to 95 deg, for a few days. All the other kits I've done have had the S.G. come down much quicker, this is my first time with Spangnols kits.
Thanks, I'll be a bit more patient
Steve

Steve, the patience thing is definitely a virtue. I'm still being taught that a few times a month (as I open bottles that should have sat for another month or twelve).

I don't think I'd be using brew belts during the summer, but since you did, just let the kits run their course. They're likely to be ready to rack and stabilize at the 14-day mark.

The rest of the way, don't rush them. Based on the numbers and the kit types, you might be able to get the Valpo bottled in a few months and drinkable in 6 months or so. But for the most part, remember good things come to those who wait. A four-month-old Amarone is probably not fit for anyone.

Jim

Latest posts

Back