Following on

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All very well learning new words but I need to know why my wine is dead 😂
After transferring to secondary most of my wines don't show obvious activity for about a day. Be concerned after a couple days. Even then, though, it might just be a slow ferment that's winding down. A flashlight is another very useful tool, makes it easier to see bubbles.

And I learned a new word, too!
Moving to the country forced me to become tolerant of bugs and snakes and wild animals. I've even accepted the fact that I'll always be a moving target for bird poop.

Well it’s in the demi and air lock on but seems dead as a door nail. I will try a picture upload. Last picture didn’t work, it was of my straining contraption but our wifi is stuck in the dark ages.
If there’s no bubbles a duff or do you have to wait some time? 😑🫣🥱
Back to your concern. I don't worry about a lack of bubbles after the primary fermentation. If you fermented dry, you shouldn't have much more activity and then it might just be degassing. Give the demijohn a good shake, you'll see something if nothing more than CO2 degassing. If it foams you still have fermentation. If just bubbles through the airlock, the wine is degassing. Have a rag handy for mop up. You may blow all the liquid out of the airlock.

Moving to the country forced me to become tolerant of bugs and snakes and wild animals.
Moving from NY to NC taught me that spiders are not always tiny things. And crab spiders (can't recall the real name) can build a web across my front porch in an hour.

We excel at tangenting threads! But we eventually get back to the original topic ..... ;)

All very well learning new words but I need to know why my wine is dead 😂
Your hydrometer lets you determine when fermentation is done. Generally speaking, if the SG <= 0.998 and is stable for 3 days, fermentation is done. [I have had wines stop at 1.002 and never budge]. If the SG stops above 0.998, put the wine in a secondary container under airlock and give it time.

Activity in the airlock tells you nothing useful, as you may have active fermentation, the wine may be degassing, or you may be experiencing a change in temperature or air pressure. Your hydrometer is your best friend.

Last edited:
After transferring to secondary most of my wines don't show obvious activity for about a day. Be concerned after a couple days. Even then, though, it might just be a slow ferment that's winding down. A flashlight is another very useful tool, makes it easier to see bubbles.

And I learned a new word, too!
Moving to the country forced me to become tolerant of bugs and snakes and wild animals. I've even accepted the fact that I'll always be a moving target for bird poop.
Yes actually I think there has been a slight activity because the vodka was equal on the first bubble on each side of airlock and it raised a little on one side. Back down again and raised again but I just havnt seen it happen. Is there a side it should be higher on? Like the first bubbler part the oxygen reaches or the the second. I’m just asking because I can not find any information on line at all x

Yes actually I think there has been a slight activity because the vodka was equal on the first bubble on each side of airlock and it raised a little on one side. Back down again and raised again but I just havnt seen it happen. Is there a side it should be higher on? Like the first bubbler part the oxygen reaches or the the second. I’m just asking because I can not find any information on line at all x
Sounds like you have the S shaped airlock.
The liquid level will be lower in the chamber closest to the carboy. The expelled gasses from fermentation will fill the space and press down on the liquid in the airlock.

Also, temperature can affect the level as the young wine expands and contracts.

And, make sure the stopper is firmly in place. Some of mine have a habit of creeping out of the carboy and I usually have to tape them down.

I suggested using a flashlight only to keep opening the carboy to a minimum. A hydrometer reading really does tell the story.

Sounds like you have the S shaped airlock.
The liquid level will be lower in the chamber closest to the carboy. The expelled gasses from fermentation will fill the space and press down on the liquid in the airlock.

Also, temperature can affect the level as the young wine expands and contracts.

And, make sure the stopper is firmly in place. Some of mine have a habit of creeping out of the carboy and I usually have to tape them down.

I suggested using a flashlight only to keep opening the carboy to a minimum. A hydrometer reading really does tell the story.
I’ll try and attach a picture of the airlock. Although I’ve tried to attach pictures several times and our wifi is too slow 🐌

Latest posts

Back