FNG from Kansas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigabyte

Reaction score
Hey all, this place looks great!

I found this place completely by accident. I honestly don't remember what Google search I did last night that led me to a thread about Skeeter Pee here. Reading that thread has me anxious to start a batch this weekend!

I've been trying to make wines off and on over 3 years now. The first year I didn't know enough and was basically making crap balloon wine I guess, I didn't like any of it. Finally I learned a little more and started using sulfites (gasp) and other goodies to make wine making better. I have had much better luck since then, but I still find there is SO MUCH I don't know. I think I found this place searching for info on degassing to be honest, because I'm trying to figure out when or if I should do that. It's a new concept for me.

So I hope you don't mind a newbie who sounds like an idiot, because I probably am. I'm trying to get it figured out though. I signed up here after reading a couple threads and liking the atmosphere. I read people asking questions, and getting very knowledgeable answers without what I perceived as any sort of getting talked down to at all.

So anyways, here I am and I hope to learn a lot. Thanks!

We reside here just for you newcomers! Its what we do, we love to learn and teach what we know! Ask away my friend and you shall recieve.

Welcome aboard. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here.
I'm sure we can reccomend some reading material to you.
From Vines to Wine by Jeff Cox is a great resource if you plan to grow and make wine from grapes. Another one is The Winemaker's Answer Book by Allison Crowe.
If you like experimental wine, try Making Wild Wines and Meades by Pattie Vargas.
There are also step by step videos and recipes on www.finevinewines.com. I highly reccomend this retailer as he is honest and won't sell you things you won't need.

Hi and welcome to Winemakingtalk. What are some of the wines that you have made and yes skeeter pee is good. Once you have one batch bottled, start another because it goes fast in the summer

Welcome Bigabyte!
I am new here as well so thought I would chime in with a hello.
I had a cat named Skeeter..... dang visuals!
Anyway Welcome!

Tim

GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD BIGABYTE. This is a very nice site and fun and amusing. I have learned a lot from December and I am still learning.

You will find a wealth of info and help here. A huge variety of wine types and some beer as well.

and yes tell us more about what you made, are making and what you want to make.

Has the squirrel recovered yet?

I'll try and fill you in on where I'm at and what I've been doing.

Welcome aboard. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here.
I'm sure we can reccomend some reading material to you.
From Vines to Wine by Jeff Cox is a great resource if you plan to grow and make wine from grapes. Another one is The Winemaker's Answer Book by Allison Crowe.
If you like experimental wine, try Making Wild Wines and Meades by Pattie Vargas.
There are also step by step videos and recipes on (edited out due to spam filtering). I highly reccomend this retailer as he is honest and won't sell you things you won't need.
Thanks for the book references, I will probably check out the Making Wild Wines and Meads book as it sounds right up my alley.

I don't have a good spot on my property for growing grapes, and frankly with all the limestone around it's a real PITA to grow any good fruits. So I don't see myself growing grapes for wine. I might buy some grapes this fall though, I'm not sure if I want to go that far just yet though. I would need to buy a press first, and some larger equipment than I am using now.

However, I have landscaped out some areas where I have two very young apple trees, 4 blueberry bushes and a strawberry patch. I had to work the soil for a year to get the pH right and now add some acidic fertilizer to these areas to keep it acidic. It seems to be working well so far.

I'll also be checking out those video's, and maybe that store as well. I have a local homebrew shop just a couple miles from me, but I've been sold some things I didn't need! I've noticed I get better help/answers from one lady who works there but she's not always there when I go.

Hi and welcome to Winemakingtalk. What are some of the wines that you have made and yes skeeter pee is good. Once you have one batch bottled, start another because it goes fast in the summer
I should mention that I have been doing 1-gallon batches only, primarily because I stocked up on 4-L and 1-gal glass carboys early on, and haven't really looked at upgrading too seriously.

I've had mixed results with Concord, but a batch I recently consumed of Concord was probably my best wine yet I think. It was my first batch of Concord not using Welch's concentrate, but I'm not sure if the difference was the brand or the recipe to be honest. I'm aging a couple bottles of that now.

I tried some Niagra using the Welch's Niagra concentrate but I didn't particularly like it, although I'm not sure it is fair to call it a failure.

My first try at Gewurztraminer looked so promising, but after racking I left it aside to age and didn't pay enough attention, and found it was sitting on some lees for the whole time. It tasted god awful when I tried it. I bottled it and am letting them age in the bottle just in case they turn good, but I don't know, that was NASTY.

Most of the wines I have completed so far were country wines.

My first stab at Apple Wine from a juice concentrate was pretty good, but I then tried an Apple Cider Mead that tasted so bad at one point I tossed it, only learning later meads aren't tasty until they have aged a couple years or more.:m

I've tried cranberry wine from juice concentrate that was too tart, and one from dried cranberries that grew a white film on it in the secondary.:(

I was really excited to try a Blueberry wine using fresh fruit, but it did not ferment to dryness and was too sweet. However, when I blended it with the tart cranberry one mentioned above, it wasn't half bad.

I've made two batches of Jalapeno wine which turned out good, but neither were really drinkable for me, was just too weird. One was hot, one was mild. I still have two bottles of the hot.

I also tried a Watermelon Mead which when I recently bottled I was not happy with. However, it might get better with age. I thought the watermelon flavor tasted a little green though.

I had a good Strawberry wine made from fresh strawberries, and I still have two bottles that might get to age a little more before I drink them, but considering how many bottles of stuff I have here that I don't want to drink right now they are in jeopardy.

Those are the wines I started since I began keeping records which I have finished. Over the last year, I stopped making new batches for some reason, and just recently started again.

I have started a Zinfandel blush from concentrate, Pinot Chardonnay from concentrate, and 2 batches of Concord. All of these are currently in secondaries to finish fermentation to dryness. One of those batches of Concord was transferred to the secondary just tonight. I'm looking to start on some Skeeter Pee next.

GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD BIGABYTE. This is a very nice site and fun and amusing. I have learned a lot from December and I am still learning.

You will find a wealth of info and help here. A huge variety of wine types and some beer as well.

and yes tell us more about what you made, are making and what you want to make.

Has the squirrel recovered yet?
I hope not. That darn thing stole my beer!::

I am kind of trying to do a routine of starting a new batch every weekend. I'm also trying to make every other batch be a grape varietal so I will have at least experienced making those. It's the batches in between I will be doing country wines, Skeeter Pee and more Concord wines. I really like concord wine for some reason. I'm like the only person on the planet like that i think, but I really do like a good just slightly sweet Concord wine. I don't know why, just what I like for some reason. Must be the kid in me, tasting the good old grape juice or something.

Well, I've probably talked your ears off already, and I haven't even asked questions yet!

After reading some here, I'm beginning to question my methods of primary/secondary. A lot of how I do things came from the Jack Keller website, but if I'm reading how many people here are doing things, I'm thinking they ferment in the primary to dryness and rack to the secondary, whereas I let the active fermentation go in the primary until it really slows down, then transfer to secondary to finish fermentation. It makes me wonder what difference there is.

I have a million more questions, but one at a time will do, as answers to each one will shape other questions I'm sure.

Last edited:
ig, you may have Googled sarcastic wine making, that would have brought you here for sure Good to have you here. If you would like to make your own wine, you have come to the right place. There are other forums, but like Google, this is the best place to start.

Great group of knowledgable people in here.

Ask away the forum is yours.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3394

Look through this thread highlighted above . There are 4 or 5 PDF books you can download onto your hard drive and have forever. If you quote anyone in any of them please give hem credit. The search in here isn't extremely powerful, but a wealth of info can be found by searching in there.

Also at the bottom of each thread will be relevant threads to the one you were on. Scroll down to the bottom.

Brew on, ask away, we reserve the right to give you a hard time as we see fit!! LOL. Just kidding of course, we are on your side.

Thanks, I will read those for sure. I'm soaking up lots of good stuff from the threads here so far, and have already learned more in the last couple days visiting here than probably in the last 2 years.

Also, thanks xanxer82 for that link to that online store. Their prices are better than my local homebrew stores on a lot of things, even with shipping! However, after watching those videos, I'm now starting to consider starting some kits, and never gave them much thought at all before! So I blame you!::

Latest posts

Back