fluid separating?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellcin

Junior
Reaction score
I am making the Orchard Breezin Mist, Peach Chardonnay. This is my first attempt at making wine. Yesterday, was day 14 and my SG was 0.998. I followed the instructions to the T and today the wine is clearing nicely with lots of sediment at the bottom. However it appears that there is a separation of fluid going on, like two fluids of different SG separating. About 4 or 5 inches from the top there appears to be a surface, with sediment sitting on it and some white spirally looking things. The fluid above it is the same color. What could be going on here and is this bad? Should I re-stir the mixture?

Appreciate any advice.

Knellcin, welcome to WineMakingTalk. Can you post a pic of your wine? It is difficult to solve an issue without a pic.

I have seen this with my "from scratch" wines and I just waited it out. It always cleared up on its own without doing anything.

That is encouraging Stressbaby, thanks. Julie I attached a pic, hope it works. There is a layer in the liquid where some settlement is sitting, it is even with the top of the second ring on the carboy. If the sediment did not sit there you would not know it was there, so it appears to be a SG change. I am thinking now it may be the finishing mixture that was added, it would certainly have a different SG than the fermented batch. I stirred it briskly for 5 minutes after adding so I know it was mixed in good.

wine separate.jpg

That is somewhat more distinct than the layering I've seen. However, if you mixed it well, I'd sit tight for now.

After racking the wine from the primary fermenter into the Carboy, I added the packages of Sulphite and Potassium Sorbate and stirred vigorously as per the instructions. Then I added the Finishing Blend, which appeared to be a syrupy bag of flavoring. Then it was degassed for 5 minutes of vigorous stirring. Then Kieselsol and Chitosan were added. The fluid was topped off and sealed with an air lock. All per the instructions and packets provided.

I think you are right, it was the finishing liquid you added. I would think everything will settle out in the next two weeks.

Update for those interested. I contacted the folks at Orchard Breezing and was told that this was normal.

That is ok it is just the fining agents that will settle and clear out.
When you add your fining agents you add D1 kieselsol first stir very gently wait five minutes then add Chitosan stir that gently. Cold stabelize for fourteen days.

This is day 14 ! and the wine is clear as could be. I will be bottling it this afternoon. Appreciate everyone's help in this first time adventure.

Good to know it turned out OK. To me, that white coop looked like sorbate that wasn't dissolved well. If that's the case, glad it did eventually dissolve.

I made that kit. It was a hit a summer parties.

Latest posts

Back