Florida Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudwrench12

Reaction score
I recently moved to The Tampa, Florida area . Had to leave the Missouri Vineyard in Missouri. Anyone know of any grape varieties that may survive down here . Thanks

Best resource I know of is below. Florida is a challenge!

I suggest you do extensive research into the various works of private grape breeders for Florida and the gulf coast.

floridagrapes.com may be a good starting point.

back when Florida had a budget for actual grape work: HS17A/MG105: The Bunch Grape

Hope this helps!

I suggest you do extensive research into the various works of private grape breeders for Florida and the gulf coast.

back when Florida had a budget for actual grape work: HS17A/MG105: The Bunch Grape

Hope this helps!
That was an excellent article . Thank you so much .

I have always been curious about scuppernong wine. It is a type of muscat.

Actually it is a wine from an American native grape, specifically green/bronze colored muskadines. Some get as large as golf balls but most are about quarter size and just under. The skins are like leather and the brix is about 14 to 20 percent. They have the best disease resistance of any of the American grapes, they do not need any sprays and can thrive in 100 degree 100% humidity weather. Best eaten when cut in half so you can suck out the pulp which is firm, more like a plum. Seeds are quite large and easy to separate in your mouth. They grow wild literally everywhere in the southeast. Florida is covered in them. Wood is a smooth gray non shedding and the leaves are quite small, maybe 2.5 to 3" max.

They make a decent fruit type wine heavy in the musk flavor.

I have always been curious about scuppernong wine. It is a type of muscat.
Yup. The only thing "muscat" and "muscadine" have in common is the first 5 letters of the name.

Muscat is supposedly the oldest known grape variety, so it's possible if we go back to before the continents broke up, there's a common ancestor.

Muscadine and Scuppernong do not make good dry wines. The wineries in eastern NC make occasional off-dry, but most are at least semi-sweet. The aroma and taste are different from all other wines I've tried.

Attachments

• 92CD1695-EC97-4BF3-BB81-52BDEC23B368.jpeg
    92CD1695-EC97-4BF3-BB81-52BDEC23B368.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • D131A55D-039C-4521-AB70-CF4AEC2503BE.jpeg
    D131A55D-039C-4521-AB70-CF4AEC2503BE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Hope this helps!
This is a great read. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back