Floor corker recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
I'm going to bite the bullet and get a floor corker.
I'd like to hear everyones opinions on which they think is best.

well personally for me being a more budget minded wine maker, i bought the portuguese floor corker....does just as good a job from what i understand, as the italian, and the cost is less...yes, it may have a plastic iris compared to the brass of the italian, but i haven't had any problem yet when it comes to durability....

reefman said:
I'm going to bite the bullet and get a floor corker.
I'd like to hear everyones opinions on which they think is best.

I have the Italian corker with brass jaws and I love it.

The Portuguese style floor corker probably serve you well too. I have used one, works well.

I have had two of the Italian floor corkers and both served me well. I sold the first one when I thouhgt I was through making wine about 12 years ago so I had to buy another. I know that they are more expensive than the Portuguese model and I know that many people use that model and are fine with it. I just like the peace of mind of having the brass iris. I hear people say the Italian model is "better" than the Portuguese model and I hear others say that the Portuguese model is "just as good" as the Italian model, but I have never heard anyone say the Portuguese is "better" than the Italian, just less costly. For me it's "in for a Penny, in for a Pound."

I have the Port. Love, love, love it. Nice bang for the buck.

I have the Italian floor corker with brass jaws (same as novalou).Smooth as silk and easy to use. Picked it up for $40 on a clearance sale, but I see some others identical around here that are running retail between $72 - $79 (CAN). Jerry:dg

I recently got back into winemaking and also decided to bite the bullet and bought a floor corker (originally had the 2 handed corker). With the need for other updated equipment, I went with the less expensive Portuguese corker (with apologies to all of my Italian relatives).

I mounted it to a 2' x 3' piece of plywood for sturdiness and started bottling. My daughters helped bottle and preferred to cork since it was so easy. 72 bottles with NO issues/problems. My best purchase! So much easier than I remembered when my dad and I did it by hand.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure you will be happy with either purchase!!!!

I also have the Portuguese floor corker and works great. A few times have had to set up on blocks when doing taller bottles so the plunger doesn't bottom out on the floor.

Which ever floor one you get I am sure you'll wonder how you got along without it!

The Italian is a bit heavier duty and larger than the Portuguese, and has the ability to add the bottle capper to it if you are doing beer.

I just bought the Italian corker a few weeks ago. I have always used the portuguese floor corker and probably put 5000 or more bottles through it. It never gave me a bit of problems. I never got the creasing on Noma corks that some people complained about either. The portuguese floor corker also allows you to bolt it down to a base or counter top, the Italian does not.

The Italian is a lot smoother and offers less resistance (due to longer handle) inserting corks. With the handle being so long it also retract too far back making you reach further for the handle. I put a cork in the handle working so it does not go back so far (I'll probably replace it with a block of wood). The portuguese floor corker is a fantastic unit for the money. My preference now is the Italian. It's beefier and taller. Both fantastic machines.

Another issue with floor corkers people have is rusting. I have no rust on mine. I never soak my corks in meta and I don't sanitize the corker with meta either. I sanitize with pure alcohol you can buy at Walmart. The stuff the Dr. uses to clean your wounds.After wiping down the corker a bit I dampen a paper towel with the alcohol, roll it up in a wad and push it through the corker.

Last edited:
Italian Floor Corker here, I like the fact that it is taller, and the longer handle gives you a bit more leverage.

If you decide to go with the Portuguese model, try to get the burgundy one, rather than the red one. The burgundy one is much sturdier and built more like the Italian corker.

Another Italian Floor corker owner, can`t comment yet, because i haven`t used it....let you know in a couple more months

Italian is the Cadillac of home corkers, IMHO. Hands down the best value if you plan to do this for years. No plastic parts. It will last a lifetime of heavy use for a home winemaker.

Hmmm... perhaps it is actually the Ferrari of corkers, since that's who made mine! :h

I own the italian and also love it. Plus I bought the capper so I can make sparkling wine. The italian is the only corker that I know of that can cork champagne corks as well.

looks like the Italian is winning 2 to 1, based on comments.
I was leaning towards the less expensive Port model, because I am not as productive as many of you are. But give me a few more years, and you never know.
I'll have to weigh all the options again.

Doug it's like getting your first car after riding your bike for years. No matter which model it is, it's much faster and easier. If you buy the Portuguese you'll never know what you're missing and you'll love it.

Latest posts

Back