Floating Blueberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynneks

Junior
Reaction score
:?Hi Everyone,
I started a batch of blueberry early May. I've added Yeast nutrient twice as the wine is fermenting slowly. Last week the sg was 1.004. Is that the usual for some wine? There is still blueberries floating on top. Should I remove them? I've racked twice. Should I do it again?? Thank you so much!!:?:?

:?Hi Everyone,
I started a batch of blueberry early May. I've added Yeast nutrient twice as the wine is fermenting slowly. Last week the sg was 1.004. Is that the usual for some wine? There is still blueberries floating on top. Should I remove them? I've racked twice. Should I do it again?? Thank you so much!!:?:?
1st you should not have racked till the wine is @ 1.010-1.015
Thats when you should have left all the berries behind (hint; add the beries to a straing bag for easy removal).
2nd by now it should have gone dry. That leads me to believe you need to degas and take another reading.
I doubt it will drop any more after degasing since there is probably no yeast left with that many rackings. How does it taste?
Then get back here. with more info.

Like Tom said you want to get rid of the fruit. If there is any sediment rack again and degass. 1.004 is alittle high but it may be incorrect due to all the gas rising. Either way if you started it early May is should be all but done now, definitely done fermenting.

If the wines SG is still moving do not rack as each time you rack you leave behind yeast that wll help fermentation finish. Blueberry and Cranberry wine are the hardest to ferment as they contain natural benzoate which is a chemical that hinders fermentation.

I should have said this was from a kit. The instructions didn't say to put the juice in a straining bag. I will remove the berries tonight & check the SG. I hate to say this but how do you "degas"? Last week I tasted the wine & it was tasty but sweet ( not too sweet)

I dont have one so I stir until my arm falls off and then switch hands. Seriously You are supposed to stir for something like 30 min. i usually last 10-15. Some wines are more gassy than others also.

I dont have one so I stir until my arm falls off and then switch hands. Seriously You are supposed to stir for something like 30 min. i usually last 10-15. Some wines are more gassy than others also.

Mad,
L@@KS like it's time to get one...:h
Since you only have ONE are left I strongly suggest to get one ASAP! I'd hate to see you lose both arms then you can't type and be part of us.. LOL ! :)

Well, you dont want to stir it, more like create friction in there by swishing it back and fourth vigorously. Is this a Vintners harvest or an Oregon fruit can. They are not considered kits so if you actually have a fruit wine kit please tell us what you have and what it consists of cause I have never seen 1!

Country Fair Blueberry

Hi,
The base is a fruit concentrate in 48 ounce cans frm the EC Kraus Company.I used 2 cans that had quite a bit of intact blueberries. I started it May 3rd. You just add the yeast,sugar etc. The sg was 1.93 to start. Today its 1.00. It looks like theres alot of residual fruit floating through it. Is there anything I can do to clear it? It must be still frmrnting right?

Check the Sg again in a few days to see if its still going down, if it is keep checking until it is not going down anymore for a few days in a row. It will not clear if its fermenting and slow fermentaion with fruit is nothing out of the ordinary so relax and go with it. When its done fermenting then it is time to add sulfite, sorbate, and then degas and then and only then will it start to clear up and if your really in a hurry for it to clear up ypu can use a fining agent like SuperKleer KC to speed things up.

Latest posts

Back