Floaties during MLF - Cab/Merlot from grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bencrx91

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I have started my 3rd wine batch from grapes. (3rd year). The 2 first year wine were successful.
2019 batch of wine is from Californian grapes (Cab Sauvignon and Merlot).

Washed, crushed and de-stemmed grapes.
Fermented together (Cab+Merlot).
Once fermented, transferred to carboys.
Racked once after.

NOTE: I did not add So2 as I was planning to do MLF right away after fermentation, which turned out to be 2 weeks later.

Added ML RED BOOST (with pre-hydratation)
24 hours after added VP41. (with pre-hydratation)
MLF is active (bubbles since 2-3 weeks)

Now I have white stuff forming on top of wine. (First time I have that) The 4 carboys all have the same problems some have more headspace than others. But they all have it. Reviewing the various threads, I could not find anything that looked like the "white floaties" in my wine. Is this mycoderma ?

I have attached picture, would you mind reviewing and provide your opinion please?
If it is indeed mycoderma, and that MLF is active, how can get out of this situation without loosing my 4 carboys of wine?

Thanks
Ben
20191017_172336.jpg 20191017_171724.jpg

Ok thanks. I will rack this week-end maybe add 1/8 teaspoon So2 + top up carboy, last time I verified PH was 3.45 for 5 Gallons. Based on what I read on a few sites, (approximate measures) = 0.7 to 0.8 G of Potassium Metabisulfite to get a 25ppm (free) so2 level, which should be sufficient to kill any bacterial infection (?) This equals to 1/8 of a tea spoon of Potassium Metabisulfite. Vp41 specification states that it has a 60 ppm (total so2) limit... Or should I just add 100pm kill MLF and restart MLF later?

Ok thanks. I will rack this week-end maybe add 1/8 teaspoon So2 + top up carboy, last time I verified PH was 3.45 for 5 Gallons. Based on what I read on a few sites, (approximate measures) = 0.7 to 0.8 G of Potassium Metabisulfite to get a 25ppm (free) so2 level, which should be sufficient to kill any bacterial infection (?) This equals to 1/8 of a tea spoon of Potassium Metabisulfite. Vp41 specification states that it has a 60 ppm (total so2) limit... Or should I just add 100pm kill MLF and restart MLF later?
You shouldn't add any SO2, let your mlf finish. I would top up.

Ok thx all for your reply.

I will Top-up carboy then leave MLF finish.

Question:
If it takes a few more weeks to complete mlf is there any danger that wine taste is affected by this white thing?

I get that kinda stuff all the time, don't know what it is, but don't ever worry much about it, and it disappears with rackings...........
Ok thx all for your reply.

I will Top-up carboy then leave MLF finish.

Question:
If it takes a few more weeks to complete mlf is there any danger that wine taste is affected by this white thing?
I would refer you to John's response. This isn't anything worth worrying about.

During mlf those bubble with bring solids up to surface with them. Sometimes they sink back down. Sometimes they stay up top. Definitely some funky things can happen during MLf.
(Video upload denied. Too much work. I tried)

Ok thank you all for your response. Will keep you informed on how things are evolving.
Cheers
Ben

Did you really wash your grapes?

Looks perfectly normal but like the others said, you should definitely top up the carboys.

Looks perfectly normal but like the others said, you should definitely top up the carboys.

Yeah, i have a hose in the grapes lugs while I sort the grapes to remove the ones that are damaged, leaves and other stuff.

Yeah, i have a hose in the grapes lugs while I sort the grapes to remove the ones that are damaged, leaves and other stuff.

We have never washed ours. I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary, and might even dilute the must.

But I freely admit that I may not have the most up to date information, mostly going by what we learned 30+ years ago when we first started winemaking. What is everyone else doing?

We have never washed ours. I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary, and might even dilute the must.

But I freely admit that I may not have the most up to date information, mostly going by what we learned 30+ years ago when we first started winemaking. What is everyone else doing?

I rinse the grapes with the hose, but I dont leave the grapes in a bucket full of water. I sort the grapes under the hose, so it will remove leftover of soil, chemicals they use to preserve and wild yeast. Then i let the lug of grapes sits for 30 min and dump it in the crusher destemmer. Looking fwd to see if its a best practice or not (it takes time).

I have done that since i started (its just been a few years). I order PIA grapes from California they are fairly good from the start not too much crap in it. The cheaper "field pack" contains more leaves and stuff.

Back