floaters and not sure what they are

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chowdan

I have this problem with some floaters. Im using a 30L carboy with an airlock. I took a local fijian recipe and decided to give it a shot. It has citric acid, sugar(cane sugar..normal sugar costs way to much), maple syrup, bakers yeast, water and apple juice.

After 3 weeks of being left alone i looked inside and it looks like i have little floaters....I'm not to sure what i should do. It smells alright, and it even tastes fine. Is it alright to rack?? will or is it contaminated??

Is it still fermenting.
If so it just could be solid particles to which CO2 bubbles get attached so they float atop..... No harm in that.

Any measurements like SG and acid available ????

Luc

What do you consider "normal" sugar? If you didn't use cane sugar then I'm curious what you used.

On the floaters, try stirring the heck out of it and see what it looks like in 3-4hrs. Don't panic you're probably just fine.

Luc:Is it still fermenting. Any measurements like SG and acid available ????

It seems that when i add a little sugar i see very very few bubbles coming up. I'm not sure if its still fermenting. I think its near the end and getting ready to rack. As for SG and acid content, i have no idea. I added about 4 tablespoons of citric acid to the wash(about 15L). I live in the fiji islands and no one sells hydrometers here. You would be very lucky to find any kind of wine/beer yeast. The beer companies here import all there yeasts and malts. I've asked a few years ago if they would sell me some yeast and malt but they said they are sorry and can't. So everyone is stuck with bakers yeast.

As for Sacalait's question on "What do you consider "normal" sugar? If you didn't use cane sugar then I'm curious what you used."

I consider "normal" sugar processed sugar(white sugar you get in the usa). But i guess normal sugar would actually be cane sugar. I just tend to think of "normal" sugar as the white sugar. But if i didn't use cane sugar i probably would have used brown sugar.

So when you add sugar some bubbles are coming up.
That is not a sign of fermentation.
It is more likely that the in the wine dissolved CO2 comes
free when it is hit by the dropping sugar lumbs.

So there is no activity in the airlock anymore I presume.

First I would wait a bit because you have added sugar and that
might start fermentation again.

I hope the carboy is rather full.

Is there sediment ?
Are you going to rack again ???

By racking you might get rid of the floaters.
Then wait to see if they re-appear.

And if you are not going to rack the wine again you might
try flushing the floaters out by adding a bit apple juice to the wine until it overflows the carboy and takes the floaters with it.

But the best option is:
wait a bit longer.
Look if the floaters 'grow'
Keep the wine under the right amount of sulphite.
Taste and if OK bottle.....

I would not worry too much.
The floaters may just be some fruit particles.

But we still do not know what this wine was made from........

Luc

Back