Flex Tank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimkinney

Junior
Reaction score
I'm been looking at the Flex tanks lately and had my eye on the 15 G model. Anyone using this size? Do the skins for the 30G work with the 15G as well? Also do the skins work well at preventing oxidation during aging? Looking for options for aging in that 12-15G range and i think one of these will work nicely if the skins are effective. Thanks for any input.

I believe they sell them in multiple sizes. I have no 1st hand experience with flex tanks or the skins, but I do know that they aren’t meant to completely cancel out the headspace on their own. Supposed to be used in conjunction with inert gas. But even with both a surface skin and inert gas I don’t think it’s recommended to long term age partially filled vessels.

I age in similar sized vessels. 14gal Glass demijohns and a similar sized barrel. I just make slightly more than needed so my larger vessels are always filled. and I store remainder in carboys or jugs of various sizes I’ve accumulated. from 5L down to 375mL. Less convenient but I never have to deal with partially filled vessels.

Jim I just ordered a 15 gallon flex tank. I will keep you posted on how I like it. Don’t quote me but I don’t think you can use the 30 gallon skins on the 15 gallon vessel. I believe they recommended keeping it topped up with wine.

Jim I just ordered a 15 gallon flex tank. I will keep you posted on how I like it. Don’t quote me but I don’t think you can use the 30 gallon skins on the 15 gallon vessel. I believe they recommended keeping it topped up with wine.
Would love to here how it goes as well.

89873281-907C-4505-9475-279F801F27B6.jpegShipping was $50 dollars to Massachusetts. If you call them up they have 10% off flex tanks that have some visual defects but are still 100% functional. I’m happy with it I have been very busy but will hopefully transfer from my Carboy’s to the flex tank this month.

View attachment 70482Shipping was $50 dollars to Massachusetts. If you call them up they have 10% off flex tanks that have some visual defects but are still 100% functional. I’m happy with it I have been very busy but will hopefully transfer from my Carboy’s to the flex tank this month.
So you can’t tell with the picture but it was $181 for the spring loaded airlock and the 15 gallon flex tank and totaled $231 with shipping. The spring loaded airlock was $30.

I have 2 of the 15G Flex tanks. They are as advertised. All of the advertised micro ox, none of the concentration through evaporation. That said you absolutely need to stay on top of your SO2 levels as they drop just like they would in a wood barrel. I keep mine topped up. They are too heavy to move once filled. You need a pump to move wine around easily or gravity rack into smaller 6G carboys in order to clean out and return. Happy with the cost and the quality.

1610722180183.jpeg

1610722199905.jpeg

I really like our FlexTanks that we have been using !
Like Mike mentioned you really need a pump to transfer them in and out of - so when we got ours I made an adapter for the Allinonewinepump see below

I really like our FlexTanks that we have been using !
Like Mike mentioned you really need a pump to transfer them in and out of - so when we got ours I made an adapter for the Allinonewinepump see below

Is that video using a maturation flex tank or the thicker heavy flex tank.

I made some adapters for the flextank - They include a ''Riser" for less air contact - to remove additional unwanted headspace.

riser.jpg

I also made some adapters so that the Bung can fit and seal better without the threads from the original fittings - which made a better seal with the airlock
bung adapter.jpg

I purchased 2 new 15 gallon flex tanks 2 years ago and only used one time. I no longer use them as I prefer to do winemaking in demijon and barrels.

If you are driving through north Jersey (Parsippany area) and intereste in buying them, take them both for $150.

That's a decent deal.

@Ajmassa

That's tempting.....I'm in Ohio. They want $59 shipping to Ohio for just one!

I have 2 of the 15G Flex tanks. They are as advertised. All of the advertised micro ox, none of the concentration through evaporation. That said you absolutely need to stay on top of your SO2 levels as they drop just like they would in a wood barrel. I keep mine topped up. They are too heavy to move once filled. You need a pump to move wine around easily or gravity rack into smaller 6G carboys in order to clean out and return. Happy with the cost and the quality.

View attachment 70484

View attachment 70485
I am looking into some of these as well. Lucky for me, they are close and I don't have to worry about shipping. How often are you having to add k-meta keep the levels up?

Latest posts

Back