Fleas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just don't be surprised if you find other bugs that you never knew you had. We bomb our cabin occasionally (had a wasp problem a few years ago) and the first time we did it there were bugs that I still don't know what they were. Agree with @jgmann67, use one more than you figure out that you need.

Can you tell me the cleaning effort involved afterwards?

Sure. Clean anything that you’ll put in your mouth or that will have contact with your bare skin; wipe down counters and shelves, mop your bare floors and change your bedding. Same thing for pets (bowls, toys and bedding).

Basically, it’s a pain in the arse.

I’ve had a sand flea infestation in Northern California and fleas in central PA. Fogger/ bombs and clean up afterwards. It works, but you’ll lose a weekend.

When we moved to Houston way back when I was just out of college we brought a cat with us from San Antonio with no fleas. Moved into a really nice apartment complex (I think I was like 24) and within a month our Siamese was covered in fleas. You have to bomb the house and then bomb it again like 2 weeks later as (at least back then) the bombs did not kill the eggs that had been laid and they would hatch several weeks later and here we go again. It was horrible and we fought them for almost a year before we moved and bought a brand new house and we had to bath the cat and go over it with a fine tooth comb and a pair of tweezers and kill every last MFer.....

I do not miss living in heat and humidity for many reasons in including having to deal with fleas!

I've had severe problems in the past, tried bombs and traps and just about everything, but finally decided to research it and did my homework. Now we just spray. It's important to vacuum, then use a sprayer with a mix of both a growth inhibitor (IGR) and an insecticide. An IGR is much like sorbate, it sterilizes the fleas when they are born, so they can't reproduce. I use NyGuard for an IGR and Conquer for the insecticide. Works like a champ. Relatives are always bumming off of me, because it works. I get it at www.domyown.com

Last edited:
We had this very problem, and me having a compromised immune system I seemed to attract the damn things. We tried every thing, ended up with Terminex and that solved it. Now we have them come 4 times a year.

Unfortunately if they are inside your house they are also outside your house out in the yard. So that means not only treating the inside but also the outside as well......

Well the guy finally came today.

He said he can't treat the house until Friday and we'll take a week before we can get back in the house.

May God grant me patience!

Someones been working hard on their rhymes.......

Eminem_Getting-Into-Rap_HD.jpg

We live in Georgia and a few years ago we had a horrible outbreak of fleas. Come in the house and we were covered. The house was literally covered. I had some Home Defense I had bought at Lowes that I used for ants outside. I sprayed the house and in about 2 days they were all gone. I took a flashlight and shined sideways along the floor and you could just see them wiggling and dying everywhere. If they lay eggs in a few weeks they will return but quickly die from the previous treatment. It worked great for us and was cheap.

Back