flavorings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do you still have this old rhubarb wine recipe? I would love to try it. I have soooooo much rhubarb and would like a really really tried and trusted recipe! Thank you
This was over 40 years ago and I probably tossed the cutting the same year. The other night I looked at the newspaper's archive, but there was nothing from 1981. I was curious, as I have no real notes from that year couldn't remember details of what the recipe was.

Please note that the recipe 'worked' -- this doesn't mean it was all that good. Keep in mind I was a clueless newbie, there was no internet, and I had nothing beyond the recipe to go by.

There are numerous rhubarb threads on this forum that are far better choices. @Rice_Guy and @BigDaveK might point you in the right direction. There are at least a dozen other folks who have successfully reported rhubarb winemaking, but I'm drawing a complete blank at this time.

Many moons ago a friend gave me 5 lbs of mangoes from his parents' yard, with the expectation I'd make 5 gallons of wine and he'd get half. I solved the problem by making jam and giving him half. Oddly enough, he had never heard of anyone making mango jam.

Is your friend going to be disappointed with the quality of the wine?
He has been here today and I showed him the amount of peaches leftover after a 5 gal batch (today was racking day) and explained my thoughts. After the explanation He mentioned to me that Winemaking is something He would like to learn. Well that opened the door for me to explain Quality verses Quantity. To answer your great question, no, not now. The Satsuma will be topped with 1:1 Simple Syrup at racking to ease up the alcohol percentage to drink over ice. The must has good flavor now so it should be ok this summer. But just ok. The Raz-A-Rita is blowing and going, I didn't think I was going to be able break his gaze watching the yeast work in that Primary. I have wrote before I have over 80 varieties of fruit trees here so I don't stretch anything. He will have fruit to make great and bomb batches of wine. My Citrus trees either just about broke the limbs with fruit of dropped everything on the tree. Still trying to figure that out. His were loaded to breaking limbs.

Welcome to wine making talk
Please do you still have this old rhubarb wine recipe? I have soooooo much rhubarb
I do rhubarb every year using 100% juice. It is high in acid pH has ranged from 3.11 to 3.87 (late pick of old roots) TA 1.38 to 1.55%. I manage by back sweetening to 1.015. The other good option is cut the TA by adding 1:1 water. Lately have used 71B since this yeast metabolizes malic acid. ,,, 100% juice is hard on yeast and has stopped at 1.005 twice.

@BernardSmith mullberry is low acid, over the last five years it has ranged from pH 3.68 (early pick) to 5.39/ TA 0.53 to 1.74%. My favorite is to mix it with lemon juice for longer flavors.
Strawberry ha ranged from pH 3.41 to 4.01/ TA 1.06 to 1.23%.,,,, percent acid is high

@GreginND does it commercially!
I have been making rhubarb wine for over 25 years and do make it commercially. Here is my process. I think it ends up about 5 pounds per gallon in the end.
Freeze then thaw the rhubarb. Press out the juice and discard the pulp. Dilute the juice in half with water (add an equal amount of water as you have juice). Add sugar to SG 1.090. Ferment with EC1118 - that is the best yeast. Other yeasts I have tried have a hard time getting started with Rhubarb.

Last edited:
I have been making rhubarb wine for over 25 years and do make it commercially. Here is my process. I think it ends up about 5 pounds per gallon in the end.
Freeze then thaw the rhubarb. Press out the juice and discard the pulp. Dilute the juice in half with water (add an equal amount of water as you have juice). Add sugar to SG 10.090. Ferment with EC1118 - that is the best yeast. Other yeasts I have tried have a hard time getting started with Rhubarb.
@GreginND check your s.g. on the previous post. Arne.

Latest posts

Back