Flavoring Rhubarb Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
I have a Rhubarb wine that has been aging for about 10 to 11 months now. I have tried the wine and it has no Rhubarb flavor. Any thoughts on how to improve it? If I was to make a flavor pac where could I find Rhubarb? I started with 2 cans Vinters Harvest Rhubarb. Made 6 Gallons. Any Thoughts appreciated.

Where are you.
It will certainly be seasonal but in oregons willamette valley its poking up in my garden so should be commercially available soon.
It grows so and big ive nevet considered buying it
When you find it freeze thaw and refreeze, I was amazed at the amont of juice

Where are you.
It will certainly be seasonal but in oregons willamette valley its poking up in my garden so should be commercially available soon.
It grows so and big ive nevet considered buying it
When you find it freeze thaw and refreeze, I was amazed at the amont of juice
I am from Missori. So It is not really available around here.

Is it completely dry? A bit of sweetness is usually needed to let the fruit flavour come through. Try some bench trials sweetening a glass with simple syrup, if it gives you what you want don't forget potassium sorbait when you do the batch.

Is it completely dry? A bit of sweetness is usually needed to let the fruit flavour come through. Try some bench trials sweetening a glass with simple syrup, if it gives you what you want don't forget potassium sorbait when you do the batch.
Thanks for the response, but yes I did try sweetening slightly, did not bring the flavor forward.

The Vintner's Harvest wine bases and purees are good quality, but I think you need to use more than they recommend. For the 96 oz. cans of wine base, a good target is probably 1 can for every 1.5 to 2 gallons of wine (so 3-4 cans for a 6-gallon batch).

One thing you could try (if you're willing to spend the money) is to make an uber-concentrated batch - say 3-4 cans of rhubarb wine base in a 3-gallon batch - and then mix some of the first batch in after fermentation of the second batch is complete and let that age. Or make a concentrated batch using a fruit with a stronger flavor profile like black currant (maybe 2-3 cans in a 3-gallon batch), and likewise mix and age the two batches.

The rhubarb will be coming up here in a couple of months. I know it grows across Nebraska, so you ought to be able to find some in Missouri. Even if you have to wait a couple of months you ought to be able to add more rhubarb as a flavor pack. Just have to wait a while longer for it to finish out. I don't know how much you used to start out, but it takes quite a bit to hold the flavor. Could of helped you out yesterday, but today it is beginning to ferment away. Just got it thawed out and started up. First time rhubarb for me, will see how it works out. Arne.

I'll second the comments on using more of the concentrates. With the large Vintners Harvest I can get a solid 3 gallon batch from 1 96 oz can but, some fruits may have a more delicate flavor that would dictate making no more than 2 gallons from a 96 oz can.

Perhaps this would solve the problem? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MPW7ZVH/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it completely dry? A bit of sweetness is usually needed to let the fruit flavour come through.

That's a pretty good trick for something that has no fruit in it! ;)

Seriously, I find rhubarb to be very flavorful if you don't dilute it too much. I freeze and thaw my rhubarb, press out the juice and then dilute that juice in half. That provides a flavorful juice with a nice acid balance that it doesn't need any adjusting. Add sugar to your desired SG level and ferment away. On the dry side, adding about 0.5% sugar is nice. Or you can sweeten it to about 3% sugar for a sweeter wine.

That's a pretty good trick for something that has no fruit in it! ;)

Seriously, I find rhubarb to be very flavorful if you don't dilute it too much. I freeze and thaw my rhubarb, press out the juice and then dilute that juice in half. That provides a flavorful juice with a nice acid balance that it doesn't need any adjusting. Add sugar to your desired SG level and ferment away. On the dry side, adding about 0.5% sugar is nice. Or you can sweeten it to about 3% sugar for a sweeter wine.
Rhubarb is not a fruit? Duh I should have known that[emoji1] [emoji33]

Latest posts

Back