WineXpert Flavoring Reisling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samilyn

Junior
Reaction score
I am on stop 3 of my Reisling kit and I tasted it and itdoesn't really do much for me. Is there a way at this stage to add a fruit extract or anything to give it some more flavor? Thanks:h

If you have added the silfites and sorbate then you may alter it now, maybe with a white grape concentrate or something. Did this wine come with a f-pac bag of juice?

If this is not the ice wine style kit then it probably didn't come with an f-pac and it porbably didn't come with any sorbate either. This is probably off-dry - maybe 1% or 2% RS?? What does it say your SG should be at this stage? I'll bet if you throw a little simple syrup at it that will bring out some of the Riesling's flavors and aromas - plus remember it's still young and it has to age a few months. You will need to add sorbate if you're going to add anything to it with fermentable sugar in it.

Last edited:
Samilyn:

Out of interest what kit are you making? Winexpert Riesling covers a lot of ground. Your problem could be the youth of the wine or maybe dissolved CO2.

Ceegar:

I believe that all WE kits come with a package of sorbate.

Steve

Ive never seen a kit that didnt come with k-meta and sorbate. Its a smalll packet that says Potassium Sorbate on it and looks like little tiny white pellets, almost powder like the sulfite.

The sorbate should have been bag #3 that came with the kit...if you've already done step 3, that's the step when you add the K-meta and sorbate, along with what ever clarifying agent they have included.

As far as flavoring it...I would wait until it's done clarifying, and then taste it. Depending on the kit, you may have another racking to "brilliantly shine" the wine. If that's the case you'll need to top it off again, then you can add whatever flavoring you like.

Personally I would just follow the instructions...unless one of the steps was really goofed up, the wine should be fine after a few months in the bottle.

Peace,
Bob

Thanks for the input. I racked it the other day b/c my winery guy said you can't "over-rack" at this stage, it'll just help the clearing process...hopefully that is correct.

I am guessing that it will turn out just fine. I was just tasting some Island Mist the other day, and I love all the different flavors but hate the alcohol volume.

I'm going to leave this reiling just how it is and while I am craving some nice fruity flavoring, it'll be a nice white to have in my stash:D

Latest posts

Back