Flavoring a weak batch of blackberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarleyHead

Junior
Reaction score
A while back I made a 5 gallon batch of blackberry wine using Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Fruit Base. In my opinion, 1 gallon of base to 4 gallons of sugar water makes a very weak tasting wine. I'm trying to decide what to use to increase the blackberry flavor. I'm thinking I may just add another gallon of Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Fruit Base. Has anybody else tried this, or had similar experience with weak flavor?

I did one several years back with the VH product, I used two of the BB fruit bases, plus a 1 gallon cab sauv kit to make 6 gallons. Added some blackberry flavoring to it at the end, backsweetened it just a tad and it came out pretty nice.

In my two experiences with the Vintners Harvest - their 2 cans for 5 gallons should work well. My two batches were successful using half the water - essentially their "Full-bodied" version of the recipe.

So I would suggest that you add that 2nd gallon to your existing weak wine. You will have to run the mix through the entire fermentation and aging process again. Hopefully you didn't add any sorbate that might inhibit the fermentation process. As long as you are willing to do run that fermentation process again I see no issue.

In my two experiences with the Vintners Harvest - their 2 cans for 5 gallons should work well. My two batches were successful using half the water - essentially their "Full-bodied" version of the recipe.

So I would suggest that you add that 2nd gallon to your existing weak wine. You will have to run the mix through the entire fermentation and aging process again. Hopefully you didn't add any sorbate that might inhibit the fermentation process. As long as you are willing to do run that fermentation process again I see no issue.

Or if you did add the sorbate Make a separate batch, adding the new wine to the existing after the process but only adding about 1/4 of the water if any I had to do that. What is your sg of your wine? Save some of the xtra concentrate to back sweeten it good luck and don't forget to add sorbate befor back sweetening :ib

barbiek - I understand what you are saying but with a heavy concentrated wine (using just 1/4 the water) the yeast choice will be important. One could end up with a very high ABV using some yeasts. I know a lot of folks don't like a high ABV with fruit wines.
Otherwise your idea is about the only safe option if sorbate has been added already.

Scooter68 - Too late. I finished the wine (sorbate) before I realized the problem. My plan was to just add another gallon of blackberry base, stir, and refrigerate to prevent fermentation from restarting. What is ABV?

Scooter68 - Too late. I finished the wine (sorbate) before I realized the problem. My plan was to just add another gallon of blackberry base, stir, and refrigerate to prevent fermentation from restarting. What is ABV?
I guess my question is, have you back sweetened it after stabilizing? If you haven't I think you could try adding a pint at a time of additional base, tasting as you go. I definitely wouldn't add the whole gallon, it will give you more flavor and body, but will drop your alcohol percentage. If you're satisfied with the wine with small additions of base, then you can always start a small batch with any remaining juice. Just a thought. Dale

Knifemaker - I have not back sweetened it yet. I taste lots of alcohol and very little blackberry. I like your idea of adding small quantities at a time until I find the right proportions. This is my very first attempt at making wine and thought I made some major mistake. Now it appears that 1 gallon of base just isn’t enough. I’ll not make that mistake again. Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom. After I get this batch consumed/gifted, I think I’ll try red raspberry.

Cheers and Happy New Years to all :db

Try drawing a glass and adding a little sugar to it. Stir it in, taste. Maybe add a little more and try it. Sweetening tends to bring flavors out. Time or aging can sometimes do the same thing. Arne.

A while back I made a 5 gallon batch of blackberry wine using Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Fruit Base. In my opinion, 1 gallon of base to 4 gallons of sugar water makes a very weak tasting wine. I'm trying to decide what to use to increase the blackberry flavor. I'm thinking I may just add another gallon of Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Fruit Base. Has anybody else tried this, or had similar experience with weak flavor?

Maybe I did not read all of the posts clearly, but my question/comment has to do with that "time" ingredient. Not uncommon to hear complaints of wine not up to expectations soon (less than 3 months) after ferment. A whole lot of variables to consider for a finished product, but a proper "maturation time" must be considered for any concoction. On many occasions I have added compatible flavorings in the form of syrups, fruits, F-pacs etc., early in the secondary stages simply to enhance. Much the same as oaking. My Reds benefit from a minimum 12 months in solitary and Whites usually do ok with 6 months. Time is the one thing there is lots of!!!

The time for each fruit is a bit different. I have an Apple and an Apricot that need more time and they are current at 15 months (apple) and 12 months (Apricot). I've had Peach, Blackberry, Blueberry and Black Currant, all fine in 6-10 months. Maybe they will get even better with age but so far those were great at those ages. (Still have a few bottles of each aging more.

There is no one time for all wines, so that's the advantage for a larger batch maker - you can pop a bottle now and then and figure out when the are at peak.... unless you wait too long.... :dg

Scooter, We had a 6 year old Apple Wine last night. Still awesome, it really matured at 2 years. Hoping to keep some till 10 yrs just to see if it lasts that long. This was before our Vinmetric 300, so we don't know anything about the chemistry. Roy

Quote: This was before our Vinmetric 300, so we don't know anything about the chemistry.

Yep, the trusty Mk 1 tongue does a pretty good job. The readings can say it's in perfect balance but if it tastes like swill, all you have is a 'chemically' balanced swill. Don't think I'll ever have any wine around that long. :dg

Agree - Just got started about 18-20 months ago and I've been making small batches until I feel comfortable with the process and don't have as much at risk. Been moving towards 3 gallon or larger batches lately. For me that's enough to share some and keep for our personal consumption. (When you make 5-6 varieties that is.)

I've learned that - personally I don't care for Strawberry wine, Apple is tough to clear and my favorites are Blackberry, Peach, Blueberry and a strong Black Currant Dessert Wine.
So far I've made:
Blackberry,
Peach,
Blueberry
Black Currant
Apple
Apricot
Black Raspberry
Strawberry

Last edited:
Back