Flange t cork bottle for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

RevA

Reaction score
Hi,

Can this type of bottle be used for wine?
I know they are used for fortified wines, but would they work for a normal strength wine?

Attachments

RevA

Reaction score
could be done and I use some to take wine to the vinters meetings. . . .
the T cork is your limitation, it will leak more oxygen over a year than a synthetic cork or a Saran/aluminum cap
So oxidation is going to be an issue for anything other than wine meant to be drunk early?

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
So oxidation is going to be an issue for anything other than wine meant to be drunk early?
That is my concern. Regarding fortified wines, the sugar and ABV offer protection from oxidation that normal strength dry wines lack. I suspect the T-tops are popular for fortified wines as folks don't normally drink the entire bottle at one sitting, so the t-top makes re-corking easier.

Jovimaple

Kaptin Winemaker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I use T-top corks for a bottle that I have opened and have not finished. It may take me 3 or 4 days to finish a bottle since I am the only one drinking wine in this house.
I use them like this, as well. They seem to work better than normal stoppers and many of the stoppers are decorative and too tall for all but one place in my fridge.

Latest posts