Flange Nut for Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cenk57

Reaction score
Hi All!
I have out grown my small 3 gallon press and will be upgrading. I have access to all of the hardwood lumber I could ever use (as well as a wood working shop), so I am going to build a new press. The parts are easy to come by - mostly. I plan to use a 1" threaded rod passing through a flange nut on the press frame to my press board. However, I cannot find a threaded flange with UNC threads. The only thing I can find is a flange for mounting pipe, with NPT threads. This will not work. I have exhausted my google search (including Grainger and Fastenal) but I am sure what I am looking for should be commonly available.

Does anyone know where I can get a threaded flange for a 1" -8 diameter/thread, threaded rod (UNC)?

Thanks!
The pic shows generally what I am looking for. a two bolt flange will work just as well for my application. This photo example is pipe thread (NPT). Which will not work.

Attachments

• Flange.jpg
    Flange.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1
1"-8 flange nuts are available at McMaster.
https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/flange-nuts/thread-size~1-8-1/
Unfortunately, pipe flanges are made for pipe, I've never seen a threaded pipe flange with anything other than pipe thread but I've never looked for them either. Maybe somebody somewhere makes what your looking for but if it is not in mass production be ready to hit your hip with a sledgehammer my friend!
If you know a welder you may be able to get an unthreaded pipe flange, slightly oversize of your allthread, and a flange nut and have the nut tacked to the flange.

Edit: spelling

If you know a welder you may be able to get an unthreaded pipe flange, slightly oversize of your allthread, and a flange nut and have the nut tacked to the flange.

Edit: spelling
That is probably going to be what I end of doing. I was hoping someone out here may know if this exists pre-fab. I am trying to keep it simple. I am a simple man, lol.

I am too, and I find many times (but not always) the simplest is to make/improvise things myself, as you are doing making a press! Depending on the load axis direction you may be able to just use JB weld instead of welding.

Latest posts

Back