fizzy Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine08057

Junior
Reaction score
Bottled 4 cases of Syrah last Sept along with 6 cases of Zin. Opened a bottle of the Syrah recently and it was very fizzy. Not so for the Zin. The wine was a year old when bottled, racked 4 times over that year, and quite clear and still (I thought) upon bottling. Anyone know a way to get rid of the Co2 without emptying the bottles to degass?
Thanks...

I had that issue with one of our first which was also a syrah. Didn't degas enough before bottling I guess in both of our cases.

I'm not sure but wonder if decanting the wine for awhile before serving might reduce the co2.

decant well before drinking and stir it up some...after a few tries you will get to know how much time you need for that particular batch of bottles

and many sommeliers have a few tricks...they open the bottle when they take it from your table after approval...and shake it up...some have nuked it...

Decant

I've tried pouring out a glass, then shaking up the bottle several times over an hour or so. It's drinkable then but I wonder if there's a way to help flatten it without all the trouble. Funny because the Zin, made from juice bought from the same supplier, is absolutely delicious. I've never had this problem with any varietals before... Wonder if it's peculiar to Syrah?

Would one of the wine vacs you use to perserve the wine once it's open would work I think i saw something on youtube of someone using it to degas a carboy so it should work to degas a bottle .

Yep, a vacu-vin works wonders on de-gassing a fizzy bottle. Its amazing how many commercial bottles release CO2 when you use one on them for the first time after opening and pouring a glass out.

I had a Savignon Blanc that it happened to. I degassed it and bottled 9 months later. Guess what? Ype same problem. Fizzy.
Happens to the best of us. Decant for 30 min B-4 drinking :dg

I asume this wine is from grapes or juice bucket . I used to have this problem. So i started mlf my wines after primary fermentation i recomend adding mlf cultures to your wines and bulk aging for a year or so . You will see that your wine will not be fizzy. Just my 2 cents. By the way i am not a degasser of wines . I 've also made a few kit wines and i never degassed. Just have patience and let them bulk age
carmine

Huh, another post I made has disappeared. With these bottles you have the Vacuvin will work very well. I know people that use this device for 6 gallon carboys actually.

Thanks for all the replies... I actually tried using the vacuvin but even that doesn't work well. This is a bulk aged batch from juice that was bottled after approx. 1 year and racked 4 time over that year. I've never had this problem with any of my other varietals... Wierd... If I ever make Syrah again, I'll be sure to degas several times prior to bottling...

If you can not degas this wine in a bottle using the vacuvin then the only thing I can think of is that you are having MLF in the bottle.

If you can not degas this wine in a bottle using the vacuvin then the only thing I can think of is that you are having MLF in the bottle.

Wade,
If that is the case, can I simply let them continue to age. Will this eventually run it's course?
Thanks...

Vacuvin works great. YOu have to have a glass carboy to use it. Be sure to have the temperature up to around 75 F when degassing.

Also, You bulk aged for a year before bottling; did you have a solid stopper in the carboy or did you use a bung and air lock? That makes a big difference.

Vacuvin works great. YOu have to have a glass carboy to use it. Be sure to have the temperature up to around 75 F when degassing.

Also, You bulk aged for a year before bottling; did you have a solid stopper in the carboy or did you use a bung and air lock? That makes a big difference.

Bung and airlock, racked 4 times over the winter, was a year old when bottled and tasted pretty good at the time... Wierd because I always use the same methods, same equipment, VERY sterile conditions and my wine always comes out great. I'm perplexed but I guess I'll just let it age and try a bottle every couple months...

It's hard to believe it could still be loaded with CO2.

Keep us posted, we will all learn something, here!

Did you sulfite this wine good before bottling as maybe it went through MLf in the bottle.

Did you sulfite this wine good before bottling as maybe it went through MLf in the bottle.

No, I don't sulfite... (maybe I should)
I am VERY careful about sterilizing everything that touches the wine though.

Hard to believe it would go through MLF in bottle after bulk aging for a year though. If so, I guess there's nothing to do but let it take its' course...

No, I don't sulfite... (maybe I should)
I am VERY careful about sterilizing everything that touches the wine though.

Hard to believe it would go through MLF in bottle after bulk aging for a year though. If so, I guess there's nothing to do but let it take its' course...

Thats what usually happens when you don't use a mlf culture . You never know when mlf takes off on its own . In the pass my wine would go on its own when bulk ageing.usually it would happen in the spring when you get the change in tempature. is the wine fizzy when you drink it.
carmine

Latest posts

Back