fizzy Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You dont use sulfite? You are asking for problems but not using it! Bacteria which is always present no matter how sanitary you are will eventually catch up with your wines.

Thats what usually happens when you don't use a mlf culture . You never know when mlf takes off on its own . In the pass my wine would go on its own when bulk ageing.usually it would happen in the spring when you get the change in tempature. is the wine fizzy when you drink it.
carmine

Yep. I'm just letting it sit. Hopefully it will finish up and age nicely... Never happened to me before, wierd...

You dont use sulfite? You are asking for problems but not using it! Bacteria which is always present no matter how sanitary you are will eventually catch up with your wines.

Never have. I'm VERY careful about sterilizing. I really like to have the wine sulfite free (except for the remnants from sterilizing the containers, tools, corks, etc... Always comes out good and continues to age nicely so over years 1-3 and it really changes character. I've found that particular varietals (Zin, Pinot Noir, Brunella) make a remarkable change if I can keep them bottled for an extra year or two, then start drinking them. The difference is amazing...

All red wines do go through amazing changes but not adding sulfites has nothing to do with that. If thats what you want to do thats fine by me but I like knowing that I have that added security and that microbes will not take over in my wines and those microbes are awlays there no matter how sanitary you are as we are not being sterile. The sulfites just keep them in check!

All red wines do go through amazing changes but not adding sulfites has nothing to do with that. If thats what you want to do thats fine by me but I like knowing that I have that added security and that microbes will not take over in my wines and those microbes are awlays there no matter how sanitary you are as we are not being sterile. The sulfites just keep them in check!

No argument there. When and how much do you add? Maybe I'll try it next year...

1/4tsp of K-meta after wine is dry or every 3 months if aging is a good fule of thumb.

Wade,
I agree with you about sulfites. However, I went to an organic wine tasting at out local Liquor store. Surprisingly, they had an organic, sulfite free wine that was already two years old and they said it could easily last 5 years. I didn't care that much for the wine, but was amazed at their claim.

I try hard to keep things clean, but I will continue to add sulfites.

They say that but how? First of all they cant claim its sulfite free as fermentation itself produces some S02 which will be in the wine, they can only claim low sulfite or no sulfite added! \With those low sulfites wine they can only attest to what they have already done as they cannot tell that what they have going will not go south due to some bacteria that is ever present in any wine. The proper dosage for add sulfites is 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons of wine. Obviously some heavier tannic wines will do much better at cellaring then others will like a Bordeaux will outlast a Rose 8 days a week.

They say that but how? First of all they cant claim its sulfite free as fermentation itself produces some S02 which will be in the wine, they can only claim low sulfite or no sulfite added! \With those low sulfites wine they can only attest to what they have already done as they cannot tell that what they have going will not go south due to some bacteria that is ever present in any wine. The proper dosage for add sulfites is 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons of wine. Obviously some heavier tannic wines will do much better at cellaring then others will like a Bordeaux will outlast a Rose 8 days a week.

I've never been able to save any that long but I've drank some of my reds after 2 years and they were very very good. These would fall into the category of "no sulfites added"... Don't know how long till they would turn as I've never saved any that long.

Yep, you can't fernment without getting some sulfites.
I think what the bottles say is something like, "Contains No Added Sulfites".

I think sulfites are our friend.

Getting better

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies... Opened a bottle over the weekend and it has improved immensely! Whatever is/was going on seems to be running it's course. Very little fizz left and very good taste!!!
Thanks again to all!!!

Latest posts

Back