Fixing an auto siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johny99

Reaction score
OK, no I don't know how I broke it, but here is how I fixed it in case you ever do the same thing.

I have a couple of auto siphons, pump like things to start a siphon. Well somehow, the little check valve thingy came out of my 1 inch one. Over vigorous cleaning maybe? Anyway, today I went to clean it to rack and it wouldn't pump. :?

It turns out there is a little disk with two legs that came loose. It goes into the bottom stationary part. The two legs clip into the bottom piece, aligned with the crescent shape. How did I get it back together, the followin:

First put on some good music, you will need patience, I chose Joan Jett, OK I'm old:f

Next, hold the outer tube, stationary part, vertically upside down

Now with a long rod of some sort, I used my 1/2 inch oak dowel I use for battonage, put the disk on it with its legs up, you know like a dead spider.

Slide it up into the outer tube. Twist to align the legs with the crescent. Keep trying, this is where the patio art comes in.

When you have it where you think it is right, push to seat it. If it doesn't click in, try again, again and again. Remember the good music.

I'd post pictures of the process but I'll be danged if I'm going to take it apart again voluntarily :ft

Hear's a picture of it where it goes.

May you never need this thread:db

IMG_4492.jpg

So, is there someplace to get parts should one happen to have been broken and the part lost?

I think I read somewhere you could just drop in a dime and it would do the job....BUT I have not tried that nor do I wish to try it. I now have a AIO vacuum pump, but I still like my auto siphon.

Joan jett, and you think your old? I saw her in sturges a few years ago, and her see through top and gold rings are forever frozen in my mind.:HB

I had the same issue. I used a dowel rod with a small dab of the sticky clay that you can use for tacking things to the wall, etc. It worked well to allow for re-installation, but then I had to use a kabob skewer to get out a couple of dabs of clay that stuck to the siphon instead of the dowel rod. I messed around with this thing for 3 weeks before figuring it out. I should have searched this forum!

Thanks for posting this.

Wish this info was around several month ago, I broke my auto-syphon trying to fix this issue.

Latest posts

Back