Fishing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Anyone doing any fishing? Ive been hitting the trout since season
started but today I hit the big river and nailed some big ones!! Caught
my limit of 18"- 20"ers today but the big ones broke my line so
afterwards I hit the store and grabbed some bigger line. I had 6lb test
on which was brand new braided. Im not big on using bigger line for
trout but 2 much bigger ones broke my line today as I had them right at
my feat!!!
smiley19.gif
Grabbed my self a heavy duty surf caster to try for some stripers but I
might be to late for that or I might just catch the tail end.Havent
fished in years, why I have no idea but if you havent give it a try
again cause man is it fun. Same thing for my older brother, he hasnt
fished in years so I bought him a license the other day and took him
with me today and now he is hooked and will be buying a new rod. His was
ancient pole took a beating also today with broken line from fish.

Ill start taking some pics now that I have a card reader for my phonecard.

Sounds to me like another fish that got away story!
smiley36.gif

Sounds like a good time. I have been wanting to get back into to fishing. I have not been since I was a boy. Now that my kids are getting bigger I would like to take them.

Get back into it!!! I went today and nailed a crap load but my USB Ports are giving me grief now, I have 3 of these and it wont read any of them and Im not skilled enough to fix it. I tried updating the drivers for them and nothing!!!
smiley7.gif
I think its time to get a new laptop. This laptop is supposed to have multi-card reader built in but it just has slots and I have no idea what to do with them.

Sounds like you are really into it Wade. Are these native trout or stocked? Maybe you are following the stock truck around. You probably bribed the driver with a few bottles and now you have struck the mother-lode.

A little of both there Rich. My daughter wasnt into fishing at all until
today as I took her to my hot spot and she cast out and immediately
caught a 19" Rainbow and then cast again and caught a 16" Brown. 2 more
casts and then she hands me the pole saying it is snagged on something, I
grab it and check it out and its just barely moving and I give it back
to my daughter and say reel it in as its not snagged you just have a big
fish on. She reeled in a 20" Sucker fish that weighed 3 1/2 lbs and
once she got it near land the thing freaked out and splashed the crap
out of us and she started laughing so hard she almost dropped the pole
in the water!
20110605_233805_Sucker.JPG

How do you cook your trout wade? I havent found any way to cook them yet that made them edible to me.

I'm glad she got to have a great time. It helps to hook them on the hobby when they can catch a few nice fish!

Waldo, the best way I found to cook trout is to do a simple flour and corn meal mixture with some black peeper mixed in. Trout only up to 14-15" are best for this. Dip the fish in a simple egg dip and then dunk them into the flour/corn meal mixture to thoroughly coat them inside and out. Use a skillet heated well to egg frying temp using a bit of butter or oil. Fry the fish quickly, turning to do both sides. It will turn golden brown and when it starts to seperate the skin from the backbone, it will turn white and flaky. It is then done. Using a fork, the slab of meat peels off the backbone and ribs. It is light and flaky with a crispy coating. It is a less intense fishy taste.

Big ones are better baked, but that is aother recipe..........

Do you use "Wade-ers", or a boat or do you fish from shore?

If those are stocked trout, they are really large. Around here they stock the 8-12 inch ones. They do put a "few" larger ones in but mostly small.

I wrap mine in foil with butter and garlic and chives inside and grill them on high for about 5 minutes flipping once during this time. Trout is one of the only fish I eat along with Catfish and Monk dish. I also like Crappie and Snapper never tried Sunnies yet or Perch even though both are abundant here. Im fishing from the shore here, no boat!
smiley13.gif

Dont be sad wade.most peole wtth boats fish where ??..Along the shore !!

Thanks for the recipe appleman

I've been doing well with Crappie here. I have to depend on a friend who has a boat to take me though--it's too shallow around the shoreline with these hot temps--they're out in the deep water. The flooding we had in April (which was during prime fishing time) messed up spawn so that'l cut down on next year's.

Well Ive been doing a lot of Salt water fishing the past week and 1/2
with not much luck but I really need to o at night for decent results.
The freshwater has finally calmed down now from all the rains so tried
my luck back at Trout and took home 2 very nice Rainbows. Im not a very
good photographer at all, ones a 18" and the other a 16". Im taking my
big brother out to my place on Wednesday night and then we'll have
dinner of a few more on Thursday. Every time I go there I catch at least
2 very nice trout and usually throw 2 or 3 slightly smaller ones back
for future catches!
20110620_212927_6-20_Trout.jpg

Just me today. Ill gladly step aside if the kids ever come though as its a better time watching and teaching them then yanking one myself. Just to see the looks on their faces when a nice one hits that line is priceless!

Thats pretty much what Ill be doing with the seasoned flour and egg wash but then wrap in foil and throw them on the grill with some butter inside also.

I saw on another post (somewhere on this forum) you mentioned fishing for stripers.. Is that the same as white bass? They are also called stripers in Wisconsin. My son and I go to a place in WI where there is no limit on them. We go in the spring during the spawn and catch enough for the year. (200). They are very good if you put them on ice right away and keep them on ice until you clean them. Otherwise they aren't good at all. Just wondering if it is the same fish.

They are salt water Bass that get up to around 80 lbs. I have never heard of any bass being called white bass.

Hey Wade,
I you google NEW RHODE ISLAND STRIPED BASS RECORD you will see a pic of a 77.4 lb bass that was caught on fathers day. What a monster. He was using eels.
We use to go and fish for a week off of Block Island from the shore. My buddy caught a 50lb one year on his birthday. Not a bad Birthday gift from mother nature
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back