First year vines - Blue-X tube question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackH

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am in year one of a 20-vine backyard vineyard (all are Vidal Blanc) planted April 1 of this year. I'm in southeast Pennsylvania. One of my vines has daylighted out of the blue-x Tube. I have not yet run my permanent trellis wires, figuring I'd wait and see if it would be necessary this season. With one out of the tube, and several others almost there, I will likely be installing the wires soon. Once the wires are in and the vine tendrils start affixing to the wires, the ability to remove the blue-x tube to spray will be much more restricted. So my question is: would it be better to just leave it on the vines for the rest of the season (and spray down the tube during spray sessions), or would it be better to remove the tube now? Another factor is being in SE Penna, we're dealing with spotted lantern fly, and I'm not sure if these tubes provide any additional protection from them. Any input appreciated!

when I had a vineyard I kept the blue tube on until about august here in Kansas. this gave the vine time to harden off for winter. if needed to spray I just sprayed down the tube. the tube also kept the deer at bay as well as protected the vine when I spayed for weeds

Don't use tubes on my young vines here in Montana. Our vineyard is fenced to keep out the larger critters and I put a cage of chicken wire around new plants to keep rabbits at bay. Hope this helps

What are the tubes protecting the vines from right now?

H

I tried tubes but then found trying to spray down them to be ineffective. It came down to choosing between tubes or getting rid of Japanese beetles. I chose the latter, pruned down to the ground this winter, and am foregoing the tubes this year.

Anyone need a bunch of blue tubes? :D

I’ll take them! Our deer and rabbit population will decimate new vines if theY aren’t covered.

Virginia. If you are in Vermont, too far to drive. If the tubes are used they are nearly impossible to take apart to mail.

Latest posts

Back