First year pruning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hzcvj8

Rookie Member
Reaction score
I have 50 vines. first year. But I bought 1X vines so they may be 2nd year vines. The deer did their share of pruning at the end of the growing season. So my questions are; When, and how much to prune?

The 1X vines just made good growth the first year at the nursery. When YOU plant them they begin over again on the count so they are 1 year old vines. You want to prune the vines back to at least pencil thickness and unless they reached the target wire the first year they should be pruned back to just a few buds to insure that they grow very vigorously this year. Get those big hedge clippers (deer) under control!

I have an electric fence charger ($100.00) set up near my fruit trees and grape vines. I use the white woven tape so that deer learn to associate that with no go zone. (First season I just used nearly invisible wire. The first time the deer hit it - they spooked and ran on through that fence. That's the reason for the white tape version - let them see and avoid.) Poles cost me about $1.30 each. Hardest thing was to bury the power supply line to the area.

Now I put it up each season and make sure it's working. EYOOW - Yep working. And as the season goes on I can even turn it off once in a while and the deer still see and avoid.

If you go electric fence go BIG and Powerful as the man told me, deer are used to a tough go with thorns and thistles and you really have to nail the little buggers to get their attention. Solar powered ones might work but that battery is only good for about 2 seasons.

First season I just used nearly invisible wire. The first time the deer hit it - they spooked and ran on through that fence. (Took out a few poles and a little time to repair) That's the reason for the white tape version - let them see and avoid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back