First year or second year shoot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The green bit is this year's growth.

From the photos, it appears to be coming form last year's growth. But such buds can come from older growth.

If it will give grapes or not is in question. More depends on the root system and environment of the vine. This looks like a very young vine, maybe its third year, in a container, with an immature root system. Even if it does create a flower cluster, I personally would probably pinch it off any grape flower clusters, and let the roots develop more this year.

Hi Balatonwine!
Thank you for taking the time to reply. So I'm one of those guys that let my vine turn into a cat's furball... This past fall, I trimmed it all the way back and what you see are some clippings from the vine. The main vine is about 5-6 years old and that clipping is perhaps 2-3 years old. I think you are right that the new growth might be from much older wood so I'm guessing that won't fruit but will create the wood from which fruits will grow next year?

It's a 2-3 year old cutting. Odds are decent it will fruit but I agree with @balatonwine I'd cut off any fruit and let it grow/strengthen. Are you going to put it in the ground?

Back