First wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m about to make my first wine kit and I’m all set but I have one concern and maybe I’m over thinking.. I live in Las Vegas and the water here is seriously horrible with calcium and I have a soft water system so my question is when you add water to your kit granted it isn’t a great deal of water but will this have a negative affect to your wine? Or maybe I’m over thinking as I just want to make a good wine

I don't know if it's popular opinion, but I don't use water, as mine is pretty off as well. I've just used wine that's of the same (or similar) varietal. I've never ran into any issues.

I don't know if it's popular opinion, but I don't use water, as mine is pretty off as well. I've just used wine that's of the same (or similar) varietal. I've never ran into any issues.

Pretty sure the OP is talking about the water you add to the concentrated juice before pitching yeast, not topping up after fermentation........

Pretty sure the OP is talking about the water you add to the concentrated juice before pitching yeast, not topping up after fermentation........

This. Please don't use wine instead of water when reconstituting a 10L kit.

I realize it is not common practice but I use distilled water to reconstitute kits. My thinking is when the wine original juice is concentrated by the producer, what is removed are H and O atoms. Distilled water adds them back and only those atoms. Spring water, tap water etc. contain other than pure H2O (e.g. lime, chlorine, etc.) Anyway, this is what I do and I have always been pleased with the results.

I realize it is not common practice but I use distilled water to reconstitute kits. My thinking is when the wine original juice is concentrated by the producer, what is removed are H and O atoms. Distilled water adds them back and only those atoms. Spring water, tap water etc. contain other than pure H2O (e.g. lime, chlorine, etc.) Anyway, this is what I do and I have always been pleased with the results.
Thank you fantastic advice it makes sense and given me something to think about

You're making the assumption that the juice was somehow 'perfectly' balanced to start with. Water is often discussed in beer making as people used to think that they needed to recreate some historical profile not realizing that sometimes that water was treated by the breweries. Most people now strive for the best profile for the flavors they want. Distilled water isn't a bad choice. My RO water is only a little off at 17ppm and that is what I use. A little mineral content from spring water may help or hurt the flavor, but chances are that it simply won't have a noticeable impact. It might be a tad better for the yeast. Probably a 'safe assumption' would be the more water you have to add the more you might want to favor distilled, then RO followed by spring. And that's if you want to over think it some.

Sure, it's hobby so we obsess over little things but don't get caught up looking for 'magic bullets'.

Here's another thought from homebrewit who recommends against using distilled water for making wine ..... "The most important minerals are magnesium and potassium, which are important in the biochemical process of yeast converting sugars into alcohol, ethanol fermentation, and phosphate, which is necessary for yeast growth." They suggest adding yeast nutrient if all you have available is distilled water.

I have an amateur's understanding of the concept of "terroir" and its importance in making wine. My point is that the minerals from the ground and the benefits of the climate in which the grapes are grown are in the juice in the kit and have not been removed. I believe that the only thing that has been removed is pure water and that is what I add in distilled water. I have heard the argument that I am missing minerals in the juice (which I do not believe for reasons stated above) but even if that were so, what would be the sense in adding water from Ohio to juice from grapes grown in Italy?

At the same time, I respect others who wish to use RO, tap water, spring water, etc. Chacun a son gout.

Before my wife and I moved to where we live now, I also used distilled water, due to the extreme hardness of the water in the central coast of CA. Now, our city water is primarily from reservoirs fed by snow melt from the Cascades. For added insurance and to remove any traces of chlorine, I installed a RO system. Consequently, I consider our water close enough to distilled to be good enough for winemaking to be able to save a couple or three bucks per batch by not having to buy distilled. Otherwise, absent our good fortune regarding our water source (it's the second-best-tasting tap water we've ever used) , I'd buy distilled.

Back