first wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAC4504

Reaction score
Just bought my first wine kit from Label Peelers, the Mezza Luna Red kit. I've made some fruit wines and always use a tool over the primary, never the lid, but the kit calls for the lid. Is there any reason why I should change my procedures now? I've never had a problem in the past with the towel method. By the way this is from Vinters Reserve. I plan to break up the batch when it's done to sweeten 1/2 of it for someone who's wife likes sweet wine. I might even make a few bottles of off dry for myself, but will keep at least 10 dry. Anyone ever mad this kit ?

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'tool'?

Probably meant to be "towel" I assume.

WAC - You should be fine with the towel, the cover is mainly to keep bugs, dust, hair, etc.,. out and having a sealed lid isn't an integral part of the fermentation process. I personally like a sealed lid because I have curious kids and it's a peace of mind knowing minimal damage will be done if bumped or pulled on.

Last edited:
firs kit

Yes Towel is correct, thanks. No kids or pet to worry about, and no lid either, will start next week.:h

Towel is fine. I generally prefer a loose lid so that I can use the bung hole for placement of my prob thermometer.

Yeah, I just sit the lid on loose and stir daily.

Have made this kit three times now. Volume to 5 gallons, SG 1.10, added teaspoon of tannin to primary, had cherry wood in the secondary...finished slightly off dry. We love it.

thanks for the advice, I really don't want any thing to sweet.

We made the Mezza Luna and we're still enjoying it very much. It's certainly my personal opinion, but I find the red kits (red wine in general) take a few years to age into something really good. Certainly drinkable sooner, but ours has become very good after 2 years. As others said, you really just need to keep the critters out, so the towel is fine.

I started the wine yesterday ( Saturday ), and I see that there's no mention of stirring the must or punching down the cap, my question is, should I just leave it alone and not worry about it, or give it a stir once a day?

The yeast need oxygen to thrive and colonize the must so you need to punch the cap and stir it around once or twice a day. Having said that, i've never used a wine kit...to be honest i dont even know what they are but i'm in Australia and so it might be just a name thing...

Anyway, science is science and yeast needs O.

Latest posts

Back