First wine kit, understanding directions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeludor

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'm working on my first actual Kit. It's an RQ Cab Sav kit. I'm pretty much ready for stage 2 which is rack to carboy at 1.020 until below .998. Step 3 mentions racking and attaching a bung and airlock, but step 2 doesn't mention the airlock. Am I correct in assuming that I just put a towel over the spout for stage 2? Or should I be using the airlock in this step as well?

Thanks,
Jay

Congratulations on starting your first wine kit. You will want to add the airlock once you rack from your primary fermenter into your carboy. Your wine is producing much less CO2 output at that point and needs to be protected. However, I might wait just a little bit more than what the directions say, like down to 1.010 or even 1.000, but if you rack at 1.020, it isn't bad either. I wait to make certain I avoid a wine volcano once the wine gets put into the carboy. Sometimes the yeast gets a bit excited and worked up when you rack, also, I try to get as much as I possibly can get into that carboy, except for any real heavy lees, but generally kits don't have much of that.

Ok, cool thanks. With my fruit wine I've been waiting until fermentation is done before the 1st racking, and I was concerned about the volcano. Unless it slows down a lot between last night and tomorrow, it should be close to1.010 if not lower.

Back