WineXpert First wine kit. Funky smell on wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsnipper

Junior
Reaction score
It's our first run at making wine from a kit and we purchased the low-end cab from winexpert. A funky smell on the nose was on the wine during bottling and we just opened a bottle up after a month and it's still there.

I was wondering if this is something normal that will go away with bottle ageing or if there was something we did to cause this in tbe process.

Thanks!

Welcome. Can you describe the funky smell any better? Is it rubbery? Is it like salami? Is it Sulfur? etc.

The smell is a yeasty fermentation smell, or maybe I'd describe it as sour. There is also a hint of it on the finish of the wine.

Without knowing exactly what/how you did things, very hard to tell if it was something you did.
With that said, that wine needs a lot more time in the bottle to "come of age". At 1 month, it barely has it's diaper snapped on.

It may not be fully degassed - giving it an acid, fizzy taste. But, yeasty? How clear is your wine?

If it's not crystal clear, I'd say you rushed to the bottle too quickly. And, if that's so, you might consider dumping it back and letting it properly clear and degas before going back into the bottle again.

Latest posts

Back