First try with fresh grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I've been making wine since 2014 all kit wines, dragon bloods and so on. I've made 2-300 gallons. I went on my first winery tour here in Minnesota/Wisconsin. I really like a dry red made from Marquette grapes. I think I'm ready to try my first batch from fresh grapes. I found a vineyard not to far away with the grapes I want for $1 a pound. I guess my ???'s are.

How many grapes do I need for 12 gallons or so?

I'll be de stemming by hand

Maybe get my kids to crush em in a brute??

I'll probably buy a press or.... I've heard of people pressing in a Rubbermaid mop bucket? (It would be new)

Is there a recommended step by step recipe I can follow?

Anything I need to know about buying the grapes?, things to look for? So on

Sorry for all the questions in one post here. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance. This site has been the single most helpful resource in my winemaking adventures

Cheers [emoji485]

Id suggest going to morewinemaking.com and downloading their red wine instruction guide. I printed mine put it in a binder and pull it out every year for a step by step.
We stopped a the river bend winery and had a marquette too, had to order 6 bottles shipping home.
best of luck,
Mike

Last edited:
Below is my fermentation planning worksheet. I followed my white wine process, which only changes the amount of grapes needed per gallon of wine. I use 15.5 lb per gallon for red, 20 lb per gallon for white. This is my cheat sheet on fermentation day and for planning my materials.

IMG_1345.jpg

I put my order in for 250 #'s. I'm nervous now. Sounds like MLF is recommended. Gonna be a learning experience for sure.

I put my order in for 250 #'s. I'm nervous now. Sounds like MLF is recommended. Gonna be a learning experience for sure.

If you decide to conduct an MLF, just don't add too many sulfites early on in the processs. Even though it is pretty expensive, I'd use VP41 as it works in pretty much any conditions (to a point). You just need to find a way to test if it's finished ( http://www.piwine.com/chromatography-test-kit-vertical-paper.html this is a good kit to start with) or trust your taste buds to notice the change in acidity (I don't trust mine, so I ordered the kit).

Just make sure you don't fret about the details and have some fun! Some wise person once told me that it's no fun if you aren't having fun (sounds like a Yogi-ism).

Latest posts

Back