First Try With Fresh Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursejohn

Reaction score
Need some advice. I am going to attempt making some wine with fresh grapes for the first time. A friend from work gave me 62 pounds of grapes from his back yard. They are both white and red mixed. Not sure what type they are. My question is, should I figure about 18 pounds per gallon? Also, would freezing them help with extracting the most juice. I would appreciate any help you could offer. Not expecting world class wine, just excited about giving it a try. Thanks, John.

John, yes, freezing the grapes would result in better extraction of juice and tds by breaking down cell walls. Depending on the grapes, you should end up with about 4 gallons from 62 pounds. It seems you have your expectations in the right place because they may or may not be a grape that lends itself to great wine, i.e. they may be more a table grape variety. All that being said, I think it is great to give it a try. I would suggest crushing them together (red and white) and fermenting them. Others may counsel separating the reds from the whites and that is up to you. I have made homemade with with a mixture of red and white and we crushed them together into one fermenter. The wine was fine.

Is it necessary to destem them or may I freeze them as they are? Also, should I order an acid testing kit? Sorry if these are simple questions, but this is new and I am eager to give it a try.

Is it necessary to destem them or may I freeze them as they are? Also, should I order an acid testing kit? Sorry if these are simple questions, but this is new and I am eager to give it a try.

IMO, you must destem first. Then freeze. I have never used an acid test kit, but I am sure others here would recommend it.

I have them in the freezer for now. I have another question. Could you boil them until the skins split, like you do when making jelly, or is this a bad idea. Sorry for such questions, but I am excited about trying to make wine with fresh grapes. Thanks again for any help, John.

It seems early in the season to harvest grapes. I was wondering where you are located. Most likely your grapes are not ripe and do not have the proper sugar levels to create a wine with ample alcohol. Your first mission is to test the grapes for sugar with a hydrometer. Then you can determine how much sugar you need to add. Your next task will be to test for PH or Acid. Since this is your first time a simple acid test kit will suffice. If your grapes are seriously under ripe the wine will be bitter and harsh and have a vegetal taste and flavor and could have too much acid. This could require you to take steps to reduce acid. Freezing did nothing to increase the yield but it does have the effect of extracting tannins from the skins as if you were cold soaking for a few days. You never heat the grapes you ferment them and then press them when all the sugar is converted to alcohol.
Malvina

I agree as well - you really only need to freeze fruits to aid in the juice extraction.

I do not destem my white grapes - i just crush and press off the juice off - white wine you ferment the juice only.

So the amount of contact the juice has with the stems is minimal.

Reds you will want to destem as you ferment on the skins for color extraction.

Take SG and TA readings.

I also think it is early to havest grapes - at least in the this area.

The white and red mixed - are the colors mixed on the cluster itself? Or do you have white and red clusters?? Just asking b/c if they are within the same cluster - what you have is a red varietal that is not yet ripe..

Thanks for all of the advice. I live in central Texas. I think these are more like table grapes, at least that is the way they taste. They are very sweet. I will give this a shot and once again, thanks for the help, John.

A little more advice. When table grapes taste sweet more than likely they don't have a Brix level over 18.
Malvina

A little more advice. When table grapes taste sweet more than likely they don't have a Brix level over 18.
Malvina

I agree. You really need to get yourself a hydrometer. In the best of all worlds, you would have a light refractometer instead (but they are expensive). You may want to add sugar to bring the total sugar content to over 20%.

It would also be very helpful if you knew the exact type of grape being used. If you can get that, then knowing the peak sugar level is just a matter of research.

An simple acid test kit is also recomended. if the acid is too high, then the grapes are not ripe!

Latest posts

Back