First try questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P2000

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks. After thinking about it for too long I finally got a Master Vintner starter kit and a moscato wine kit. My wife loves moscato so I figured I'd learn on that and improve on the next one, cab.
Anyway my question is on day one I measured my specific gravity at 1.098, temp 70. Day 2 was 1.10, day 3 1.112.
The directions I'm following call for adding yeast nutrient at 1.040-1.050.
It also says this will take about 5 days. I don't want to overthink this, but I'm wondering if this is a normal trend.
Any insight, suggestions or comments appreciated.
Pete

Are you sure that your readings are correct? Your s.g readings should be going down not up

Most likely you didn't stir the original must well enough before the first reading. Now that the sugars have had a few days to dissolve, the SG is showing that.

Let the hydrometer tell you when to do the next step, not the calendar.

Ok thanks. Yes it's bubbling quite a bit. The steps from the kit call for yeast nutrient at 1.040 - 1.050. It also said 5-7 days so I'm a little early anyway. At this point I'm wondering if it that's just a normal beginning. And I figured the reading do dictate the next steps. Much appreciated.

Just curious, did you add sugar to the kit to drive the SG up a bit? If so, that might explain the SG going up if that sugar did not get dissolved right away. I've been brewing kits for years and have never seen gravity go up like that.

No I didn't add sugar. Since this is my first try I'm following directions as well as I can. As an aside I looked at the post on how to read the hydrometer and it's very possible I was reading it incorrectly. The numbers are now trending correctly.

No I didn't add sugar. Since this is my first try I'm following directions as well as I can. As an aside I looked at the post on how to read the hydrometer and it's very possible I was reading it incorrectly. The numbers are now trending correctly.

Sounds good. Reading the hydrometer confused me for a while also. The learning curve is sharp at first and good thing that wine is so forgiving. The first week to ten days you should follow your hydrometer readings more than the kit times. I have found that their days between steps is almost always enough though. Good luck and have fun with your first kit.

Hi all,
I'm a beginner in wine making. I tried to prepare wine, but my wine is not getting fermented. Can you give me some tips for fermentation. I don't understand what went wrong..

Hi all,
I'm a beginner in wine making. I tried to prepare wine, but my wine is not getting fermented. Can you give me some tips for fermentation. I don't understand what went wrong..

Kathy,
Start a new thread, give us a few more details. A beginning specific gravity is nice if you know how to use a hydrometer. Next is temperature, what yeast, any other ingredients you used, what you are trying to ferment. We will try an help. Arne.

Latest posts

Back