First try at MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazaruni

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have 5 gal each of merlot and cab franc which are both below 1.00, and at 72 degrees. I don't have acid or sulfite testers. How does my plan for MLF sound?

I might use MBR 31 which sounds like it gives nice berry flavor, but it's for 66 gal.

1. A 2.5 gram packet for 66 gal means I should use about 0.2 grams of the ML culture.
2. This means also to hydrate it with 4 grams Acti-ML (based on the ratio of 1 gram culture to 20 g Acti-ML).
3. Dissolve this into about 20 ml of clean distilled water, hydrate for 15 min and then stir into the wine.
4. On the stirring debate, I wonder if I can just keep it sealed and just shake it up a little to get the liquid moving?

Thanks!

I am on my first mlf and I pitched the whole packet of culture in. Not the same one you used. I got the impression you could do that. I hope so.

I always use the entire amount spreading it mostly even between however many require inoculation at the time. If I had some that would be ready at nearly the same time, I would account for that. Not sure what you mean by the stirring debate. I stir weekly or so. The rest of your plan sounds about right.

If you decide to try to save the MLB after opening, then put in airtight baggie and probably the freezer. You might be able to use it later.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to freeze some leftover like you said because it's a big dose and a little pricey.

Latest posts

Back