Quantcast

first timer

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

apnyiri7

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time making wine & new to the forum. I have two blends that I'm fermenting the "old school" natural way. The Cab/Merlot blend I crushed Saturday night & looks to be fermenting just right. I can hear it bubble & the must cap is rising. The other blend, Old Vine Zinfandel/Barbera, I crushed Sunday morning. It doesn't seem to be fermenting at all. No movement, no bubbles, no must cap. It is now Tuesday evening & starting to get worried that something may have gone wrong. Also some of the Old Vine Zinfandel grapes didn't look as health as the others & that also has me concerned that that may be the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this issue that they can help me with? Thanks Andrew

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Two great grape variety combo's! The downside with the old school way is that you roll the dice. If you want to go this way, expect some batches will be tossed. Grape juice is a wonderful environment for a lot of different yeast and bacteria...a smorgasbord! A known yeast will multiply rapidly and crowd the others out, before they can do damage to the wine. I would toss some 1118 into there and hope it ferments dry and you don't have too much H2S/VA as to make the wine undrinkable.

apnyiri7

Junior
Reaction score
NorCal thanks for the response. I'll try to get some today & see how that works. As of this morning still no action. Didn't even attempt to push it down. To be positive the cab/merlot is doing great. Thanks for the help.

bkisel

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, never made wine starting with grapes so can't help you there.

Latest posts