First timer buying juice -need advice/help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MikeInCtown

Early in the year I made one of the Island mist kits for my wife. It turned out better than expected and everyone loved it.

Now it's the time of year for the grape harvest and the local supplier is bringing in about 20 different juices from California and from local places here in Ohio, PA, and NY. None of the juice is pasturized, but it has some stuff added to balance the sugar and acidity. (I think that was it) Anyway, the local stuff is priced at just over $6 a gallon and I figured this would be the perfect way to get in to learning the real way to make wine without spending a ton of $$$.

In reading the kit instructions, most are tailored for 6 gallons. Does it really matter if I make 6 gallons at a time? I have a bunch of 5 gallon glass carboys from brewing beer that I would like to use. Can I just add 5 gallons to the carboys, or do I need to make 4 gallon batches?

Also, I was going to buy a mix of white and red. Is the methodology pretty much the same for firmentation on either?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Mike

Latest posts

Back