first timer- are my berries to old to use???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked currents, raspberries, and strawberries from my garden last week. I had to work all week out of town, and so they have been sitting in my refrigerator. The berries are about 8 days old at this point, and the majority of them were ripe to begin with.
I read somewhere online that if your berries are too ripe it will make the wine sour, but I have also read that you should only use ripe berries.

Should I scrap the berries and try store bought stuff, or should I use them? I have never done this before, so I apologize if it is a stupid question :)

Unless they are moldy and rotten go with them. You really should freeze these berries next time as freezing them will help break down the cellular walls of the fruit which will give you better color and flavor extraction in the wine. Welcome to this site and dont be afraid to ask questions as thats why we are here!

Waves hello,

welcome to the forum and as Wade says.. stick the fruit in the freezer..it's the best way to handle ripe fruit.

Allie

Should I scrap the berries and try store bought stuff, or should I use them? I have never done this before, so I apologize if it is a stupid question :)

You will be fine. Most of the fruit you get at the store is not really ripe. You should see what I been using for my fruit wines. Talk about over ripe. The riper it is the sweeter and in most cases more juice. Freeze it as it helps extract the juices when adding the pectic enzyme.

BTW
Welcome. Please go to "User CP" and fill in your location.

Latest posts

Back