First time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello everyone, Sunday night I pressed 40lb of riesling grapes from northern Italy, now begins to ferment, in two days I will put the yeasts to finish the fermentation.This is my first time. I will keep you informed.View attachment 50727
Wow, didnt even really think that much riesling was grown in italy. Being a German/Austrian thing mostly.

Yes ok but it is the terrain that is important, unfortunately the soil is not as variegated as in Italy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Wine Making mobile app
What are Nebbiolo and Barbera typically planted in, in italy? My soil is sand and my climate is pretty much identically to Piedmont region. I'm coastal California considered cool climate.

the difference is this, in the sandy soil are delicate wines

Such things as soil type are very important, and certainly matter.

Italian Riesling is one of the most planted white wine varieties in Hungary. It is a large producer here, more hectare liters of wine than many other varieties. Probably a communist left over -- where quantity over quality was stressed.

Quite frankly, I am not that impressed by Hungarian Italian Riesling. It is an okay table wine, but not much more. I suspect this grape could do better in another climate. I have never had any wine of this variety from Italy. Would love to try some. Maybe some day we can exchange bottles. :)

Such things as soil type are very important, and certainly matter.

Italian Riesling is one of the most planted white wine varieties in Hungary. It is a large producer here, more hectare liters of wine than many other varieties. Probably a communist left over -- where quantity over quality was stressed.

Quite frankly, I am not that impressed by Hungarian Italian Riesling. It is an okay table wine, but not much more. I suspect this grape could do better in another climate. I have never had any wine of this variety from Italy. Would love to try some. Maybe some day we can exchange bottles. :)
I guarantee that the quality of the riesling tested by some producers is of excellent quality, I will send you one of the bottles that I will do, so if there is a problem you will be the first to know it.[emoji4]

the difference is this, in the sandy soil are delicate wines, meter here in the areas of Nebbiolo and also of Barbera are calcareous clay soils
Yeah, I know that sand makes much more aromatic delicate wines, and thats kind of a good thing, i prefer wines that are very aromatic and delicate. Although Cabernet Franc is well documented to do better on sandy soils, which is why i also planted it. I dont have any clay soils, but the vineyard across the road has clay.

My vineyard is on a sandy hilltop. We are among the only pieces of land in my area that have sandy soils, i am actually sort of glad that i have sandy soils due to being resistant to phylloxera.

update, after five days on the skins I decided to separate peels and juice, I added still selected yeast and now can rest easy, maybe I waited too much, but I like vigorous wines even if they are white ......

Today the first decanting of wine, measuring Babo12 about 8 degrees alcohol, now to bed.
Ciao ciao

dove vivi nel nord? Ho famiglia in piedmonte vicino torino. Voglio visitare i vignetti li.

Latest posts

Back