First time without yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the idea from Jeff Cox "From Vines to Wines" 22-24 days is he feels ideal. The skins break down more and release extra colour, fragrance and flavour. The short chain tannins join up to make long chains which are not as bitter. Same effect as aging. When the ferment slows the fermenter is covered with plastic sheeting or lid with an airlock. I pump a little CO2 into the fermenter every day to make sure the must is protected helps prevent oxidizing. Jeff Cox recommends getting a CO2 cylinder and setting it at a dribble. When the cap falls and all you see is liquid it is time to press. I do this with all the reds now as it has made a huge difference to the quality of the end product. I'm yet to see the effect on long term aging as I've only been doing it since 2014.

Of all the books on wine on the shelf I've found Cox to be the most practical and sensible.

As to the question on keeping yeast from a good year. My theory and it is only a theory is that whatever yeast is around in a particular year is best suited to the grapes for that year. So what was good in a wet year (here) like 2016 would not have been as ideal as those that were about in a dry year like 2014. I'm also a bit too lazy to make the effort to go that extra step and mine the yeasts for use in subsequent years. So you can see my theory is really an excuse not to create extra work.

For Scooter68. Just re-read you comment again. I agree it could be a maybe result on using wild yeasts. I hedged my bet in two ways. First the Pied de Cuve method establishes a starter culture before I harvest. If it smells good I use it if not I use bought yeast. I also only used it in half of the harvest for the Chambourcin. Chambourcin is the only variety we grow ourselves and we don't use any sprays. All the other grapes we pick from commercial vineyards 70 km away. I stick with bought yeast for them as I don't know what they have been doing in the vineyard. Actually I do know but I don't want to know. It could probably be ok but too hard to collect the makings of a Pied de Cuve a week in advance which means I'd have to just sit and watch what happens (no second chance) and if it goes bad I get a good vinegar base. But then maybe I should give it a go "no guts no glory".

When I reflect on the process it wasn't that much extra work breeding up the Pied de Cuve. Now that I've done it once it should be easier on the stress level.

I'm not recommending everyone should do it. Its just my wife prefers to keep the wine as natural as possible without creating vinegar. And I like a challenge if that makes any sense.

Back