First time wine maker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentucky

Junior
Reaction score
LOve all reds. have small amount of chambourcin planted in back yard. hopeful harvest later summer. any good recipes for chambourcin. i like it richer versus light. had a reserve one time that was good. any help appreciated. thanks

Welcome Kentucky. How many years old are your vines? Dont know much about Chambourcin.

Hello Kentucky ..... welcome to the forum.

This is an Introduction area, I think you should go in the beginners area for such kind of topic, but that's ok .....

Welcome to the forum Hope you will enjoy here :h

Welcome aboard. Don't know much about that grape. Did a search and of course Jack Keller's site has a recipe. I will post it here. It looks like a decent recipe. I would ignor the Oak Mor powder and just use oak cubes. This is just a fairly generic recipe as most are. It should work out just fine. I don;t know if I would sweeten the wine any either unless you like that.

CHAMBOURCIN

French hybrid with Rhone origins, available since 1963. Also known as Joannes Seyve 26205, this late-ripening grape requires a long growing season and is somewhat winter-hardy (to -5 degrees F.). It has low tannins but deep color, good aroma and no foxiness. It is reportedly a good blending grape, but can also stand well on its own.

Chambourcin Wine
(recipe for 5 gallons)
65-75 lbs Chambourcin grapes
4 tsp pectic enzyme
¾ tsp potassium metabisulfite
3-3½ tsp yeast nutrient
3 tblsp Oak-Mor powder
1 pkt malo-lactic culture
1 pkt Premier Curvèe wine yeast

Pick grapes when fully ripe, discarding any spoiled or underripe grapes from clusters. Crush and destem, add pectic enzyme and ¼ tsp potassium metabisulfite to the crush, and stir with wooden paddle. Cover and set aside overnight. Adjust acid and sugar if required and stir in yeast nutrient, Oak-Mor and activated yeast. Recover primary and punch down cap twice daily during primary fermentation. When free sulfur drops below 15 ppm (10 ppm is better), inoculate with malo-lactic culture. When specific gravity drops to 1.000, strain solids into press and extract remaining juice. Transfer wine to secondary and attach airlock. After 1 month, rack to sanitized carboy. Monitor MLF with paper chromatography and rack again when completed, adding ¼ tsp potassium metabisulfite at racking. Conduct two more rackings, 6 weeks apart, adding ¼ tsp potassium metabisulfite after last (4th) racking. Wine should clear on its own. If not, let sit another 6 weeks, rack, stabilize, and wait another wait 30 days. Sweeten wine to 1.002-1.006 according to taste, then bottle. Cellar approximately 6 months before tasting, depending on your self-control. [Author's own recipe]

Latest posts

Back