First time to try enzymes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnc3

Junior
Reaction score
Harvested about 225 pounds of zinfandel from Knights Valley in Sonoma County over the weekend. This was a tough year for water and harvest came after an incredible two day heat spike of 110 degrees or more. So, the grapes have great flavor (numbers are fine) but they are a lot more solid than I'm used to, really low in the liquid department after crushing and destemming.

Have never used any enzymes before, I'm curious about anyone's experiences with various pectinases or other similar products that might improve the juice factor and get more extraction from these challenged grapes.

Harvested about 225 pounds of zinfandel from Knights Valley in Sonoma County over the weekend. This was a tough year for water and harvest came after an incredible two day heat spike of 110 degrees or more. So, the grapes have great flavor (numbers are fine) but they are a lot more solid than I'm used to, really low in the liquid department after crushing and destemming.

Have never used any enzymes before, I'm curious about anyone's experiences with various pectinases or other similar products that might improve the juice factor and get more extraction from these challenged grapes.

Personal preference for my reds is Lallzyme EX, it'll break that pulp down.

Are there any specific features of using Lallzyme EX, or is it all written in the instructions? I also plan this year to use this drug.

@johnc3: I use Lallzyme every year. However, that's usually added prior to pitching yeast. I'm assuming you've done that already. Hoping someone can chime in w/ experience or documentation with adding Lallzyme or other enzymes later in the process.

Judging by what is written, Lallzyme should be added to the wort, before the fermentation begins.
* And can you add a day before you bring in yeast?

Judging by what is written, Lallzyme should be added to the wort, before the fermentation begins.
* And can you add a day before you bring in yeast?

In winemaking we call it must, not wort (that's a beer term). And yes, add the enzymes a day or even two or three before adding the yeast. Give them some time to do what they do.

Rather than starting a new thread- I had a related question. Morewine.com states that opti-red when used with Lallzyme EX, will yield best results. I was planning on using opti-red & Lallzyme EX-V both at the beginning of the fermentation. Does anyone have experience combining the two or have a strong opinion against doing so? Descriptions on the scottlabs website for both product sound like they do similar things.

Yes use together, but not the same time. Add the enzyme first, then 12-24 hrs later the opti-red and any other tannin. Edit: 6-8 hrs I'm seeing now.
I believe the enzymes help to break down all the skins and pulp. (Also helps the wine clear later on) Then once the enzymes are doing their thing, the opti-red will have much better results working on extracting from solids that have been better broken down. IMG_6756.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back