First Time MLF Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am only 25 batches into wine making (12 kits and 12 fruit wines, a variety of DB variations) and, to date, have not introduced malolactic fermentation into my processes. As is the case with most of the reds, the 2-year old reds are just now coming around (which is which why I started with the fruit a while back).

I have a Winexpert Vintner’s Reserve White Zinfandel in primary fermentation. According to instructions, it is due to go to secondary in 2 days. Starting SG was 1.084 and current SG is 0.996, so this seems fine (though it may well be finished? Note my fruit wines always finish at 0.990).

The questions:
1. Is MLF appropriate for use with White Zinfandel? I would have thought it better for more hearty reds, but what I am reading seems like it might be good here too. Thoughts?
2. How important is pH for MLF? I purchased a pH meter recently (thought a cranberry lime batch was stuck and wondered if the cranberry-induced low pH was the problem), so I can monitor this if needed. Thoughts?

Thanks for any insights! Mark

My thoughts:

1. No, white zin is not a wine that would benefit from MLF, but....
More importantly, the consensus is that MLF on kits is, in general, a bad idea. The main concern is that the acid in kits is purported to be balanced or adjusted using malic acid. Therefore, you would be reducing the acid by a lot! (Tim Vandergrift's key surmise is that your performing MLF on a kit "will end up in tears.") (There is also a concern often expressed about racemic vs. enantiomerically pure mixtures of malic acid in kits, but I think that is a red herring.)

2. I will let more knowledgable folk address the pH question.

My thoughts:

1. No, white zin is not a wine that would benefit from MLF, but....
More importantly, the consensus is that MLF on kits is, in general, a bad idea. The main concern is that the acid in kits is purported to be balanced or adjusted using malic acid. Therefore, you would be reducing the acid by a lot! (Tim Vandergrift's key surmise is that your performing MLF on a kit "will end up in tears.") (There is also a concern often expressed about racemic vs. enantiomerically pure mixtures of malic acid in kits, but I think that is a red herring.)

2. I will let more knowledgable folk address the pH question.

Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back