First Time Making Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano16

Junior
Reaction score
Good morning, I am planning on making wine for the first time this fall, this is the kit I will be using and trying to figure out what the best grape is to use that will allow me to make quality wine the first time. It will be a RED as I don't love white wine and I have access to a couple of friends in the paso robles area that I'll be buying grapes off of. Any advice provided is much appreciated, i assume some reds are easier to make than others, just gathering all my my information and learning about this fantastic process now.

Thanks
David

Welcome to WMT and congratulations becoming a winemaker. It’s a great hobby! Reading the information at this link will answer most, if not all, your questions: https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wredw.pdf

Someone else might offer a different response, but I don’t think some reds are harder to make than others sans Amarone (fruit prep) and Pinot Noir (delicate and finicky fruit). Stick with a Cab or Merlot from Paso Robles. You’ll be fine...

Last edited:
Thanks
Welcome to WMT and congratulations becoming a winemaker. It’s a great hobby! Reading the information at this link will answer most, if not all, your questions: https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wredw.pdf

Someone else might offer a different response, but I don’t think some reds are easier to make than others sans Amarone (fruit prep) and Pinot Noir (delicate and finicky fruit). Stick with a Cab or Merlot from Paso Robles. You’ll be fine...
Thank you !

Welcome to WMT!

I second @crushday's advice. In addition, read through the first few pages of this forum (Beginners) and the Grape Wine forum. You'll see what others have done and the advice given.

After reading the document @crushday mentioned and reading the forum, ask questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. The members of this site are very friendly to beginners, as you'll see from reading the Beginners forum.

Keep in mind that you need to crush the grapes (hopefully your contacts will let you crush on-site), and you will need to press.

Latest posts

Back