First time from grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iridium

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found an LHBS that has access to a wide variety of wine grapes for purchase in 25# lots. They have both red varieties and white. This would be my first time making wine from grapes. I have made a couple fruit wines so know some basics. My question is would a white wine be easier for a first time or red? I like both so that is not an issue. I also have a basic understanding of how to age and oak etc. I am not sure of the fermenting process and looking for advice.

Thank you!

Are these frozen buckets? And are the white wines frozen juice, or do they include the skins?

I would say that a white frozen juice buckets would be easiest, as you do not need to deal with pressing.

The grapes come in whole. As part of the price the LHBS provides equipment and expertise to crush and destem and/or press as the type requires.

The grapes come in whole. As part of the price the LHBS provides equipment and expertise to crush and destem and/or press as the type requires.
Go with red, that's my recommendation, I would recommend you get Cabernet Sav, Cabernet Franc, or Merlot if available. Those are grapes that are pretty easy to work with and should get you started.

Thank you for the recommendation. Should I worry about MLF with the reds or will those types be more forgiving?
Merlot is pretty mild as is and MLF i dont think would be necessary as much as it would be with Cab Sav, which also needs more time on oak, Cab Franc is actually one of the parent plants of Cab Sav and a relative vine to Merlot as well. Think of Cab Franc as being a more mild Cab Sav it has much of the same flavors and qualities with a less aggressive tannin and acid level. It ages well and doesnt take at least 2 years on oak, cause Cab Sav needs a lot of oak.

Merlot you really shouldnt oak that much as its easy to overdo it. Its just a balanced wine and probably my favorite type other than Grenache.

I have to disagree, I'd go with white.
1. No worries about MLF
2. No really worries about oak
3. Most important - it is possible that the crusher/destemmer and press are available only on pickup day. If so, you won't have a press to use on the red after AF is done in a week (assuming you don't own a press). Even if it is available, you'd have to haul the wine back and use the press at the shop which would be a PITA.

Get white grapes; crush/destem then press at the shop; add the KMS; bring the juice home and take your measurements; stick in the fridge if you can to cold settle it; rack it the next day; double check measurements and make any needed adjustments in acidity/pH; pitch the yeast and off you go.

Meh, to each his own, everyone has different preferences I have nothing but red grapes planted so I know how to work with them.

This is good information thank you. The LHBS provides equipment for both steps so for a red I would make two trips one to crush destem and then start fermentation and the second to press a week later. It is over an hour away so leaning toward white as that seem more straightforward based on what I have read here.

This is good information thank you. The LHBS provides equipment for both steps so for a red I would make two trips one to crush destem and then start fermentation and the second to press a week later. It is over an hour away so leaning toward white as that seem more straightforward based on what I have read here.
Yeah, it can be, but meh, red is better for the experience really, i highly prefer red wine except for riesling.
I would try both if you could, just do 2 batches and then you will learn which one you prefer the most.

I’ll chime in as well for white wine as your first. Not having to make the extra trip and adding the extra step for MLF, will certainly be easier.

First time and LHBS being an hour+ I would recommend something white also. Is this for grapes in the fall? A viognier or chardonnay for a bigger white or a sauvignon blanc for something lighter, all can be oaked. Rieslings and many other varieties to chose from. Choose what you like and have fun.

To directly answer your question there is no doubt a white would be the easier choice, not to mention you can yield the rewards sooner. On the other hand reds are fun but do require extra work and a longer aging period so I wouldn't initially rule them out. You should have a little time to make your decision and if you have the ability the recommendation of making of each is not a bad idea.

Good luck

My LHBS lets me rent their basket press and take it home to do the pressing. It's only a 15 minute drive, but loading up 8 buckets of fermented juice and skins would be a huge PITA. That said, I pretty much only do red wine from grapes these days (1 kit per year or less).

If you do white it won’t need to age as long before you drink it. If red and you’re going to do it again then you want to get some bulk aging sooner. Asap I dare say.

If LHBS is trying to be helpful with a press they’ll let you borrow it for pressing after fermentation - 1h drive is worth it. You can also do a diy butt bucket press. Not hard to put something workable together to
squeeze my lemon babe and if you use a paint strainer bag or three you could do it by hand.

Good luck and let us know :)

Cheers,
Johann

Update...
I decided to take the plunge and ordered two batches. I ordered one 25 pound lug of riesling and one 25 pound lug of zinfandel. Now I just have to get everything ready for when they come. Yes making two trips in a week could be a pain. However, the in-laws live close by so its an excuse for them to see the grand kid an extra time.

Now I have research what yeast and everything else that I will need to do.

Update...
I decided to take the plunge and ordered two batches. I ordered one 25 pound lug of riesling and one 25 pound lug of zinfandel. Now I just have to get everything ready for when they come. Yes making two trips in a week could be a pain. However, the in-laws live close by so its an excuse for them to see the grand kid an extra time.

Now I have research what yeast and everything else that I will need to do.
Good Choices

Latest posts

Back