First time from fresh grapes...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skahorse

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First off, this is a great resource and thanks to everyone for all of the contributions. This site has already been a huge help for me. :b

As the title says, this will be my first time making wine from fresh grapes. I'm getting 500# of Pinot Noir from a great local vineyard here in Oregon. I will be fermenting in 2 55 gallon blue food grade HDPE barrels (with lids). I will be using a Marchisio 200L variable capacity SS tank for secondary, and eventually bulk aging. I'm not planning on using an oak barrel this year, maybe next...

I plan on co-inoculating yeast and MLB within 24 hours of each other.

So here are my questions. I've read several books, and can't quite find the answer i'm looking for... When it comes time to press, I plan to scoop the must out of the barrels with a 1 gallon pail (I don't have access to a must pump, and I am open to other ideas). I'll press the juice into a 7 gallon food grade bucket. Should I dump the pressed juice back into the primary on top of the lees? Or should I go right to the stainless tank and be down with the barrels? I'm afraid if I go to a fresh fermenter, and take the wine off the lees, that i'll end up stopping fermentation.

When I scoop the must out of the barrel, do I leave the lees in the primary? Or do I scoop it all up, and press it all?

Thanks in advance for the help!

You will press when alcoholic fermentation has been completed. We do the bucket patrol into the press. Your pressed juice will go into a clean container. Let it settle for a day and then rack off the gross lees into another clean container. When you confirm mlf is complete, SO2 and age.

You will press when alcoholic fermentation has been completed. We do the bucket patrol into the press. Your pressed juice will go into a clean container. Let it settle for a day and then rack off the gross lees into another clean container. When you confirm mlf is complete, SO2 and age.

Perfect, your clarifying "clean container" is exactly what I needed. I don't think i've seen that specified in anything I've read. I think I got it.

Here's what I'm thinking now.
1. Combine must into one container temporarily, to allow me to clean one of the 55 gallon barrels.
2. Press must, and put all juice into one clean 55 gallon barrel. Cover tightly with lid and airlock to let it settle out for 2 days.
3. Prep stainless tank, and rack into it. Allow it to complete MLF in stainless.
4. Rack into 55 gallon barrel temporarily, clean out stainless tank (where it completed MLF) and then rack back into stainless tank.
5. Put it to sleep.

Does that make sense?

When removing contents from the primary in while pressing, do you get every last drop at the bottom of the fermenter? Or do you leave the lees behind?

Latest posts

Back