First time elderberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at elderberry wine and just making sure I'm doing it right. Harvesting elderberries, freezing whole bunches and knocking for frozen berries. Obviously I'm trying my best to pull out as many stems as possible but want to make sure I'm getting enough out and that I'm getting enough of the not fully ripe berries out. I took a pic of a small sample of what I'm getting a keeping. I am willing to pick though it more if recommended just want to know what you all think.. Thanks cheers..

IMG_20170818_092633.jpg

Try this: pour 1 quart of water on those berries and discard anything that floats. This will get 80-90% of the greenies and lots of the stems. It is also said that any purple berries that float aren't that good for winemaking anyhow for various reasons (rot, bugs, unripe, etc).

Agreed with Stressbaby. Fill that bucket up with water and get the "unwanted" ones (green, pink, etc.) out of there. Best way to do it with those berries. Sinkers = Good. Floaters = Bad.

Not sure as I have never froze berries that weren't ripe and ready for winemaking. With that said, put them in the water and they should "thaw" out in a short amount of time. Then the good and bad will separate.
You definitely don't want to use those green ones and pink ones.

I think this is one of the pros with freezing them before sorting and cleaning them.

Latest posts

Back