First Time - Don't Know What I made

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSuperSagor

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, This is my first time..
and It's cloudy..
What should I do now?
natural_swimming_pools.jpg

Ok, here we go.
I "assume" red grape juice? or concentrate? or actual grapes?
Did you ferment in those containers or in a primary?
Did you rack it at all?
Any other chemicals added, ie: kmeta, nutrient, etc.?
Any clearing agents added?
What was the SG to begin with?
What is the SG now?

It was actual grapes.
I fermented in a primary
No, I didn't rack It
I added some Wheat.
No, Didn't added any clearing agent.
and I have so sg meter so couldn't check it.

Bro, I am from Bangladesh and it's really hard to find wine making equipment here..

It was actual grapes.
I fermented in a primary
No, I didn't rack It
I added some Wheat.
No, Didn't added any clearing agent.
and I have so sg meter so couldn't check it.

Bro, I am from Bangladesh and it's really hard to find wine making equipment here..

haha
Ok, got it, I guess you will have to roll with what you have.

How long did it ferment? If you think it is done(10-14 days in primary), then I would do the following.

If it were me, I would taste it. If it is lacking in flavor I would add some sugar to sweeten it up some and hopefully pull some flavor out of it. If it isn't lacking, then leave it.
Also, I would let it sit in those containers for awhile. If you have no way to stabilize it with kmeta and sorbate, put them in a fridge if you can. Sediment will drop and clear it up some. Clearing isn't necessary but it is that much less sediment you will be drinking.
If at all possible, order a hydrometer off the interweb. It will make life in winemaking much easier over there.

Hi TheSuperSagor - and welcome. When you say you added wheat did you add raw grains or were the grains malted? Sugars in grain are usually too complex for yeast to ferment. Malting (roasting the grains after they have been allowed to sprout for a few days to stop further growth) has the effect of allowing the grains to create enzymes that can break down these complex sugars and enable yeast to ferment the more simple sugars, BUT grains generally are covered in what are called laco-bacteria and these bacteria can survive in alcohol and they will drop the pH (increase the acidity) of the solution and so can "sour" your wine/beer - an effect that many brewers (though not so many wine makers) look for when they make lambic or sour beers. I agree with wineforfun - taste your wine/beer. Of course, if you had "mashed" - as brewers call it, or boiled the wheat then you would have killed those bacteria and so reduced the likelihood of souring.

The quote of the day!

I've made wine with next to nothing as well, so hang in there, listen to what people say, answer their questions (they are here to help) and you might find that you can make something that is reasonably good.

I followed a youtube video..
1 kg red grape
3 liters water
yeast, sugar
It is 21 days old.
Was not there a better recipe on Youtube? The best thing you can do now is put in a cool place + 16 + 18C and leave it for another 2-3 weeks, you should end up fermenting and appear a real sediment. Do it better in one common container, rather than in different bottles. After the fermentation has ended and the precipitate comes out, remove the light part and send it to the refrigerator for further clarification. Perhaps what you have done can be drunk. In the future, for the production of grape wine, do not use sugar and water unnecessarily, let alone wheat. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back