first steps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
ok, this is the first time wine making for me. I got St.Pipen and La Cross grapes that should be ready in the next week. I've been reading but, I don't want to mess this up. So if someone can help me out with the first step, that would be great.
I got a six gal. primary that I'm putting the juice in after I crush them. Do I fill it with all juice or some juice and some water? Or add a little water, stur in the bentonite and the rest juice. That's question #1. thanks, gordon

ok, this is the first time wine making for me. I got St.Pipen and La Cross grapes that should be ready in the next week. I've been reading but, I don't want to mess this up. So if someone can help me out with the first step, that would be great.
I got a six gal. primary that I'm putting the juice in after I crush them. Do I fill it with all juice or some juice and some water? Or add a little water, stur in the bentonite and the rest juice. That's question #1. thanks, gordon

@gordonm
I use two manuals, the MoreWine Guide and Harford Vineyard's instructions. The latter is pretty simple, while the former goes into greater detail. Links below.

MoreWine: https://morewinemaking.com/content/manuals
Harford: https://harfordvineyard.com/winemaking-instructions-grape/

thanks for the links, they are both useful but neither one answers my question on weather I need to add water to the juice that I collect from my grapes for fermentation. thanks, gordon

I won't add any water, can you take an acid test? If the acid is too high then I would add some water.

thanks for the links, they are both useful but neither one answers my question on weather I need to add water to the juice that I collect from my grapes for fermentation. thanks, gordon

Typically, with white wine grapes, they are crushed, destemmed, and pressed initially, sometimes they are bunch pressed with no crushing / destemming. The resulting juice is allowed to settle for a short time, some add sulfite, some don't, and racked off of the sediment in preparation for winemaking. The only time water is added is if the sugar content is too high, and only enough to get it into an acceptable range is used. If your pH and TA are too high or low, they are typically adjusted into an acceptable range. If you've sulfited your must, pitch yeast 24 hours later, if you've not sulfited, you cam pitch when you are happy with your Brix, pH and TA.

ok, thanks again, I'm all set. But, like always, you people answer my questions but make me have more questions. I know what Brix, pH and TA are but I don't know how to test for TA. So let me read a little and if I can't figure it out, I'll be back. gordon

Back