First Skeeter Pee Think I have a problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunter

Junior
Reaction score
So on Friday I started My First Skeeter pee. Followed the directions. I am Using a Slurry from a RJ Peach Chardonay I made in April. Kept the Slurry in Tupperware in the fridge. Friday I started the SP and took the Slurry out to get to room Temp. A good 24 hours. Added my Slurry Sat night. It has been a good 24 hours and Nothing. Gave it a stur to hope it gets going. If by tommorrow Night I see or Hear Nothing. Should I add a yeast packet. I have a couple packs of Lavin 1118 I could use. The Slurry I am using is also from Lavin 1118.

Yes but you should make a good starter and introduce the "Pee to it a little at a time to get it acclimated to this high acidity atmosphere.

So on Friday I started My First Skeeter pee. Followed the directions. I am Using a Slurry from a RJ Peach Chardonay I made in April. Kept the Slurry in Tupperware in the fridge. Friday I started the SP and took the Slurry out to get to room Temp. A good 24 hours. Added my Slurry Sat night. It has been a good 24 hours and Nothing. Gave it a stur to hope it gets going. If by tommorrow Night I see or Hear Nothing. Should I add a yeast packet. I have a couple packs of Lavin 1118 I could use. The Slurry I am using is also from Lavin 1118.

Thunter it could take up to two days before it starts, mind usually starts on the second day after I introduced the slurry. Also, temps need to be in the 70's and you need to whip the juice pretty good a couple times each day before and after it starts to ferment.

There are some slurries that are problematic. I have them listed in the FAQ section of the SP website about a third of the way down. The topic is: {Q: Are there any other qualifications for a good slurry?} Check to see if any of the problem slurries would match what you used.
http://www.skeeterpee.com/Skeeter_Pee/FAQ.html

Hmmm My Slurry might not be a good one then It was from a Kit that was low Alcohol ( A RJ Breezes Kit) but you leave it in the Primary till it gets or .998. I will give it another 24 hours and see how it goes.

That wine was racked off that slurry before you add sulfites and sorbate right?

If you neeed to start another slury what I did was put my slury in a contianer in a sink of hot water. I changed the water every 4-6 hours (basically when ever I thought about it). I then added 1-2 cups of pee to the slury at a time until I had about half a gallon going good (takes about 24 hrs to get there). I then added that slury to the rest of the pee which had a temp of 75 degrees.

WooooHoooo I have Action. Monday afternoon there was Nothing gave it another whip Then moved it up stairs. temp was around 80 came home from work today and had a nice foamy cap and the lovely Sizzle. Thanks for all the help and info.

Latest posts

Back