First season with Mustang grapes

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Chris Gibbs, Sep 7, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Chris Gibbs

Chris Gibbs Gibbs' Grapes

I went out and collected about 50 pounds of mustang grapes in mid June this summer. There was a great fruit set this year!
    20180620_143922.jpg

So I put them all in the freezer until I got my new steam juicer...
    20180720_175308.jpg

At this point, I hadn't committed to a particular recipe to make mustang grape wine because most the traditional recipes involve two separate stages fermentation. An initial ferment with only the crushed grapes and wild yeast, then a follow up fermentation where sugar is added and the must diluted to reduce acidity. This wasn't an option for me because of work/travel obligations. So I canned the juice and made some jelly . 20180721_183933.jpg
    I got about a gallon and a pint of juice from each 10lb batch of grapes. And now you notice there are only four gallons of juice there...

2. Chris Gibbs

Chris Gibbs Gibbs' Grapes

I made some jelly with the other gallon. Regular mustang grape jelly and habanero mustang grape jelly. I highly recommend mustang grape jelly!! It is sweet-tart, with a very good grape-cranberry like flavor.

I decided to use a Jack Keller recipe for mustang grape wine from juice, at the ratio of 1qt juice per gallon of wine must. A two gallon batch to start... 20180826_203758.jpg

And here is is in secondary where it currently sits. 20180901_163752.jpg

So now I have a couple of question for anyone with mustang grape wine experience.

This fermented dry, and its very tart for now. I plan to back sweeten a little, but I used a recipe that was conservative with the juice quantities. I guess this is roughly 2.5 lbs of grapes per gallon of must. Does this seem in the ballpark for mustang grape wine?

Also, this stuff is neon pink! Does the color appear to be on par with other mustang wines?

I'm sorry if my inexperience is showing...

3. M38A1

M38A1 Supporting Members Supporting Member

This is my second year of winemaking and also my second year 'attempting' to make Mustang wine. The color looks about like mine did without the skins which is where the deep red color comes from. My non-skinned grape must was that pinkish color. The batch where I left the grapes in the primary was much deeper red.

As for quantity of grapes per gallon, I used about 50lbs for 11 gallons. What I found was the Mustangs don't typically give up a lot of juice and the acid is so high I took the water dilution route to bring it down. BIG MISTAKE I believe. All I did was dilute the Mustang grape flavor profile in the process. So another batch I added some potassium bicarbonate (a base) to counteract the acids. We'll see how it all turns out in a few months. It's all out of primary fermentation now, been racked once out of carboys and just sitting there for another month while I decide what to do with it. For sure it'll be back sweetened by some unknown amount. And yes - mine is very tart at the moment.