First Rose attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vern

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making first rose from Marquette and Petite Pearl grapes. I crushed, destined, pulled off juice within half hour after crush. Put juice in buckets and froze. Started fermentation and noticed juice is very dark. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

I experienced a rosé fail this year too. I did a saignée of some Cinsault to try and concentrate things more on the red wine side. I went to rack the "rosé" when it was done fermenting and it was already essentially a white wine -oh well...

The Cinsault "red" is looking a lot like a rosé after a week on the skins -not my intention either! :)

-Aaron

I laugh! I did a “rose” with 20% PP and 80% Briana (white) last year, it turned out nice and dark and tannic ,,,, not what was expected., tastes OK and I am calling it a red.
I am considering those two vines- do they do ok together as wine? I am not sure what will do the first few small crops.

where are you? , , , Maryland, , I visit grandkids in DC . . How hard will it be to let you taste the blend next spring break, , I owe @mainshipfred a few samples.
I am considering those two vines- do they do ok together as wine? I am not sure what will do the first few small crops.
the blended wine turned out to be a fairly full body red,
I really like Briana, it is on the easier side to grow and has nice yields. A lot of 2020 was mixed with tannic crab apple which again produced an interesting flavorful blend but let the white grape show through.

I am about an hour from @mainshipfred - it's variably more only because of the airport. I will drop him some things soon, in fact :h. I would love to taste this- maybe we could all hang out at the garage. I really want a good rose, and am trying to decide on what. I had thought of Brianna as a nice fun white- and Petite Pearl as a nice very dark blender. Didn't know if they would end up something like AJ's family red if thrown together. That's probably similar to what the neighbor made when mom was growing up.
I had some plants die when shipped last year- am trying again and adding more vines. Anything I grow is something not easy to get, and sturdy here. I want to keep the effort and sprays lower than with european vinifera, but may get those anyway.

Back