First Recipe: Spiced Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard a little fizzing, but I'll double check later tonight and move it back to my office.
Thanks for your help.

Though now I'm faced with another dilemma...I have some space in my carboy and I'll need to top it off, I was wondering if there is something other than water i can use, that won't effect the flavor of the wine?

Last edited:
You dont have to top up until it is done fermenting as the c02 created during fermentation will protect it with its layer of gas. As far as when its done you are going to need to displace the missing volume and water IMO is never the answer. You can use sanitized glass marbles, some kind of inert gas like nitrogen or C)2 like some wine stores sell, but the best way in my opinion is to get some smaller vessels such as a 5 gallon carboy and some 3-4 liter jugs and even some wine bottles like 1500, 750, and 375 ml bottles with bungs and airlocks to match. I wine bottle will need a #3 bung, a 3-4 liter bottle will need a #8 bung all with holes drilleed to except airlocks. These are all cheap methods and if you are going to continue making fruit wines you will need these to avoid this never ending quest to top off!

Do you here a sizzling sound at all kind of like a soda pop? Some fermentations just fizzle alot and not foam up as others. yeast variations will also cause different types of fermentations. Once you kow its fermenting, leave it in a cool place like low 60's and let it do a long cool fermemt and you will have a much better fruit wine in the end.

Yes, there is sizzle. It's working. Now it's time to practice patience. I think i need a few more pails.

So I had racked last week and I wasn't terribly worried about the cloudiness of the wine, but it's been a week and it's not any clearer. I took a look at my recipe and noticed that I hadn't put in any pectic enzyme in. I'm wondering if I should do that now or use something else to clear up the haze later. I'm trying to avoid adding any more chemicals than i need to.

Any suggestions?

I would add some pectic enzyme but wouldnt expect to to start clearing until around a month after fermentation is done and even that will probably take a while if not using a fining agent.

You dont have to top up until it is done fermenting as the c02 created during fermentation will protect it with its layer of gas. As far as when its done you are going to need to displace the missing volume and water IMO is never the answer. You can use sanitized glass marbles, some kind of inert gas like nitrogen or C)2 like some wine stores sell, but the best way in my opinion is to get some smaller vessels such as a 5 gallon carboy and some 3-4 liter jugs and even some wine bottles like 1500, 750, and 375 ml bottles with bungs and airlocks to match. I wine bottle will need a #3 bung, a 3-4 liter bottle will need a #8 bung all with holes drilleed to except airlocks. These are all cheap methods and if you are going to continue making fruit wines you will need these to avoid this never ending quest to top off!

Well it's done fermenting and I added the marbles and pectin and it's sitting there in my kitchen covered with a box. I want to add a picture of it, eventually. I think when/if it clears it should be a really pretty color. I'll check back in a month. Thanks for the advice Wade.

On the mead front, it's fermenting I checked the temperature and it's at a good temp, the SG is around 1.068. It's in a cupboard away from light and my prying fingers.

Update:Clearing nicely

I put the pectic enzyme in about 2 weeks ago and I took a look at it yesterday and looks a little clearer. Of course that might be my own wishful thinking. I figure I'll rack it off the marbles and lees in another two weeks and take a closer look then.

This site has been so helpful. Thank you all who read and replied to posts.

WSG

racked a 2nd time off the lees and it tastes

BAD. Well thin and alcoholic. I racked it off the lees transferred it to another carboy with marbles and tasted it and it tasted almost watery but with an alcoholic flavor. It's still clearing, and I haven't stabilized it yet, should I add anything to it help bolster it or will aging help?

WSG

Back